Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By lurker
I have just been tidying up "the cupboard under the stairs".

Under our downstairs floor is a gap of maybe 24": when we first moved (1978) in, I needed to get under the floor to run/redo various services.
I did this via a hole in the "C. U. T. S."

Unknown to my young wife, I built a sturdy trap door into the hole and reinforced the joists. Also put a pile of bricks next to each air-brick (so I could quickly block these up).
My thinking was if the bomb dropped, under the stairs and under the floor might help our survival chances. I now know quite a bit about radiological contamination and know it would have been futile.

Anyone else take "steps"?
By doctor Bob
I have a roll of tin foil, I wrap it around my head whenever I read the rant thread. I find it stops the drivel oozing out of my bonce and forming a post. Been working very well for a few weeks.
Hopefully a few posters from there may read this tip :lol: :lol:
By MikeG.
My preparations for the apocalypse amount to ensuring we have adequate* supplies of Bird's custard powder at all times.

* 1/2 a tin
By Pete Maddex
lurker wrote:I have just been tidying up "the cupboard under the stairs".

Under our downstairs floor is a gap of maybe 24": when we first moved (1978) in, I needed to get under the floor to run/redo various services.
I did this via a hole in the "C. U. T. S."

Unknown to my young wife, I built a sturdy trap door into the hole and reinforced the joists. Also put a pile of bricks next to each air-brick (so I could quickly block these up).
My thinking was if the bomb dropped, under the stairs and under the floor might help our survival chances. I now know quite a bit about radiological contamination and know it would have been futile.

Anyone else take "steps"?

24”... can you still get underneath?

:wink:

Pete
By Benchwayze
I made no preparations. As a PC, I would have been considered expendable anyhow; and even if I had been allowed to join my family, we lived so close to the epicentre, a shelter was futile. In the event, we would just have been part of the fall-out!

John #-o
By Rich C
I live in a large city so we'd be gone in the initial blast thus saving a slow death from fallout. That's a kind of prep right?
By phil.p
"The cupboard under the stairs" - there's a perfectly good word in Old Cornish dialect for it - a "spence". It translates as a store or larder, and "spencer" loosely as butler. I'm a little surprised that the English language, which has persistently purloined words from other languages when it own vocabulary was lacking, has not purloined this one. :D
By selectortone
I lived on an RAF station during the Cuban Missile crisis. The station, RAF Waddington, where my father was stationed, was home to a squadron of Vulcans which, for several weeks, sat on the tarmac bombed up with an atomic bomb each and at 5 minutes readiness to launch an attack on Russia if it all kicked off.

I was about ten at the time. Watching the news one night I asked my Dad what what would happen in the event of a Russian attack. He told me not to worry, I wouldn't know a thing about it - Waddington would be one of the priority targets for a nuclear bomb and we'd all be vapourised before we knew anything about it. I never forgot that.
By Bm101
I too once built a kind of secret cellar for my young wife. Well, strictly speaking she wasn't my young wife, not as such. But it's perfectly possible to surmise that she was someone's young wife I suppose.
Personally I didn't use air bricks but thermalites and 3:1 to cover the vents. You'd be surprised how far certain smells can travel when left to ... linger... Watch that pointing everyone!
Anyway, that's all in the past and I'm quite better now.
We all are. We have a certificate.
By lurker
Until quite recently I thought the Cuban missile crisis was a bit over hyped.

Apparently the only reason all hell wasn't unleashed was a Russian submarine officer refused to obey orders.
same programme mentioned waddington bombers minutes away from take off.
By lurker
Bm101 wrote:I too once built a kind of secret cellar for my young wife. Well, strictly speaking she wasn't my young wife, not as such. But it's perfectly possible to surmise that she was someone's young wife I suppose.
Personally I didn't use air bricks but thermalites and 3:1 to cover the vents. You'd be surprised how far certain smells can travel when left to ... linger... Watch that pointing everyone!
Anyway, that's all in the past and I'm quite better now.
We all are. We have a certificate.

There is always one who has to be difficult.
Why could you not lay a new patio like everyone else??