I want to advertise a workshop clearance, but....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just want to advertise a workshop clearance. My Uncle Ron sadly died last year, and now my Aunt wants to get his workshop cleared out. It's mostly hand tools, fixings and wood.

Unfortunately I apparently can't place an ad in the classifieds here until I have made 13 more posts. This seems like an odd rule, as it seems bound to encourage posting for the sake of it, rather than as a result of having something worthwhile to say. Is there any way around the rule? If I just reply to myself 13 times here will that do it?

Thanks.

welcome to the forum. Join up, moan about the rules and use it for your benefit...

mowog":2dch0t7z said:
........posting for the sake of it, rather than as a result of having something worthwhile to say........

What? Here? Oh nnnnooooooo, no, no, no, we couldn't possibly have that.:)

No, my Aunt lives in Bideford. That's why I'm trying to set it up for a single day's selling. It's quite a long drive from here, and we have two young kids so we don't want to be back too late.

marcros":2m9q16rb said:
welcome to the forum. Join up, moan about the rules and use it for your benefit...

He joined over a year ago. :shock:

MikeG.":5m4mm0yn said:
mowog":5m4mm0yn said:
........posting for the sake of it, rather than as a result of having something worthwhile to say........

What? Here? Oh nnnnooooooo, no, no, no, we couldn't possibly have that.:)

There are those who would say I've probably done that about eleven thousand times. :D

Hi Bod,

Uncle Ron was a carpenter all his life. He started as an apprentice, became a very good carpenter, and continued to work with wood into his 70s. He developed Parkinson's late in life, which frustrated his desire to be out in his workshop somewhat. Didn't stop him helping me to prepare the wood for the built-in oak shelves currently in my living room though. I think he mostly made 'practical' things - windows, staircases, doors, cupboards, that sort of thing.

Well, it's mostly hand tools, a few power tools, and lots of the sorts of things that just accumulate in a workshop: boxes and boxes of screws, nails, mysterious brass attachments for thingies, hinges, catches, surface finishes, you know the sort of thing.

I know that he inherited some of the tools, so I guess there are some in there that are quite old. I recall that there are a couple of old tool chests made by apprentices a long time ago. I do have some photos, if I can work out how to add them.

To be quite honest I'm no tool expert, but as he was never very wealthy I doubt his workshop is packed with exotic hidden treasures. I'm just hoping there are enough fellow woodworkers local to Bideford who fancy popping along to make it a worthwhile trip.

mowog":1zmz5nrj said:
Hello,

I just want to advertise a workshop clearance. My Uncle Ron sadly died last year, and now my Aunt wants to get his workshop cleared out. It's mostly hand tools, fixings and wood.

Unfortunately I apparently can't place an ad in the classifieds here until I have made 13 more posts. This seems like an odd rule, as it seems bound to encourage posting for the sake of it, rather than as a result of having something worthwhile to say. Is there any way around the rule? If I just reply to myself 13 times here will that do it?

Thanks.
Try ebay, Gumtree or freecycle. Boo hoo that you'd be getting a free service by contributing a little !!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":37vptbyf said:
Try ebay, Gumtree or freecycle. Boo hoo that you'd be getting a free service by contributing a little !!!!!

Wow - that was pretty aggressive. Is that how I need to act if I want to gain the status of "Valued Contributor"...?

No problem - I consider myself well and truly told.

Before you sell anything, if you can I'd suggest you pick two or three things that you'll keep, that you remember he was particularly fond of, if not for yourself then for the kids, so you can pass them on. I have a few of my grandfather-in-law's tools and they are special to me, as he was very kind to us when we were newly married.

That's more valuable than the small amounts you will get in cash.

Also the bigger black chest looks like it might have held his site tools once upon a time, or even his father's site tools. It's well worth looking to see, in case you unintentionally give away a bargain. You'll certainly find a lot of tool collectors over in the Hand Tools section, who can advise you on what those tools might be worth (and be pleased to do so). The "Woody" planes on his bench look as though they may be good "users", but regarding value, much depends on who made them and their condition. Anyway, as I said the experts are that way---> (in Hand Tools).

mowog":1hta4csp said:
ColeyS1":1hta4csp said:

Wow - that was pretty aggressive. Is that how I need to act if I want to gain the status of "Valued Contributor"...?

No problem - I consider myself well and truly told.
I'm sorry you thought that was agressive. I was actually holding back a little ! I really don't think the required post count is much to ask. I consider this a place to share and discuss woodworking first, the other perk of the forsale section is a bonus. On the plus side you must be nearly there now- good job [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back