Not a good day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Working in the workshop this morning. Had some turning on the workbench and.....

Crash! My cupboard came off the wall! I managed to throw all of my Ryobi power tools from the top of my cupboard onto the floor and hit my head and face on the way down. Oh and the tools on the peg boards on the front of the cupboard also hit me which included 8 chiesels, 24 screwdrivers, a few hammers, saws and a Stanley knife and then the ones inside the cupboard which included my planes - my Veritas planes!

So I’ve got a face stitched together with paper stitches and no idea how much damage I’ve done to my tools.

This is a before shot

33324c62bb66fccf8e68e104444ddea9.jpg

This is an after shot!

8145a66f722d4e3d0ad90d7cfce2706c.jpg

I’ll take a photo of the workshop when I get back out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In future tell everyone who asks its a duelling scar, sounds better!

I can sympathise, some years ago i had a startrite bandsaw, the modern type with fabricated frame, it was on a wheeled trolley so i could move it about.
One morning i was taking the nipper to school, it was peeing down with rain & we were late, we decided to take my moggy pickup which was in the garage, i threw nick in the truck, opened the up & over door, leapt in the truck & fired her up. We shot out of the door. In my rear view mirror i saw something move quickly. The coiled up power lead hanging on the front of the bandsaw had caught the rear bumper of the truck. There was an almightly crash & cloud of dust behind us as we towed it over. As i leapt out there was the bandsaw on its front with its table twisted round at 45% I shut the door & didnt dare to go in there for two days.
Fortunately damage was light & the steel mounts had twisted rather than the table breaking. But that bandsaw was never quite the same after that!

Savage !!!! Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well been out and had a brief look at the disaster. Tools everywhere! Going to take some time to tidy up. Had a quick look at the planes and they seem to be ok. My low angle block plane has a tiny pin prick on the sole so I assume it hit something sharp. It’s tiny though and will flatten easily. I’ll have to go through all the power tools and check them. Fortunately all my Festool stuff was in systainers and out of the way. I I broke a bulb in my Ryobi torch buts if that’s all I’ve damaged then that’s a result.

BLIMEY! VERY sorry to hear that. The tools sound OK (crossed fingers), so it's "just" the fizzog! "Gute Besserung" as they say here.

AES

Looks like you got away with it Stu for the most part. Thankfully it wasn't worse!

Ouch! hope ya not a kitchen fitter as this might be bad for business :roll:

Faces can be stitched but expensive tools are another thing :shock:

Brian

No not a kitchen fitter - lol. I’m an IT director so I’m used to things falling over!

With regards to root cause analysis..... well that’s easy and obviously all my fault!

I’d put a piece of MDF up onto the wall ages ago and hung a few tools off of it. I decided I needed more storage so built a cupboard to go on it. However I never bothered to look at how I’d fixed the board to the wall - turns out 4 screws isn’t really enough!!!

It’s a good (if a little painful) lesson to learn. What also occurred to me was that I wasn’t doing anything with the cupboard so it could have come down at any time - so it could have fallen on one of my children!

On a positive note it’s been quite entertaining when people ask what happened and I saw it was a circular saw...... and 2 drills, impact driver, nail gun, 8 chisels 24 screw drivers, 3 hammers and a Stanley knife!

dc_ni":1nl305le said:
finneyb":1nl305le said:
too many tools :)

That's like saying you have to many clamps :shock: :shock:
That's so true ! A year or so ago I thought I finally had the perfect amount.Turns out I could just do with a few more lightweight 3ft ones. Ha

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back