Admin Removed Posts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to put this in context, it is not a complaint but a general enquiry and perhaps a suggestion for the future.
I read a post earlier this evening which I thought was from "Razeteer" or a similar name as I can't find it from a member search. It related to leaving the UK for the USA after the election results and was potentially offensive to some (I.e. everyone who didn't vote conservative).
Having resisted the immediate temptation to reply about that and also the Brexit issues raised (which we've done to death) there were one or two things which I thought might be interesting for debate - such as the immigration issues post Trump for people with American relatives.
Came back later, calmer, wiser (nothing to do with a bottle of Beaujolais) and thought I would post a couple of questions but couldn't find the original post.
Now no issues whatsoever if a Mod deems a post should be removed - but it would be useful if some message could be relayed to that effect. I know some will come later and wonder what the post was and why it was removed but for those, like me who have read it, it would be good to know it's gone and so we don't have to search for it.
So perhaps just the title and something like "Post removed by Moderator "?

What tends to happen on most forums is that if a thread violates the basic rules of the forum (which this did, rule 6 I think), the thread is deleted wholesale.

If content goes off topic/inappropriate then mods usually lock threads.

The problem with leaving markers is that it can just lead to clutter. Plus it's not always a pleasant reminder of what went on in the thread!

Thanks Rick. Makes perfect sense in terms of anyone else coming to the thread but a bit frustrating for anyone who has already read it and wants to come back to it. But if it breaks the rules then no argument.
Thanks for the quick reply (and I must check the rules again).

Spot on LancsRick....further, mods are actually people believe it or not. People with lives, children, grandparents, dogs etc, all of which have needs to be met. Mods also do this voluntarily with not a penny changing hands and what's been suggested would be very time consuming.

If folks simply took the trouble to read the rules, everyones lives would be a lot simpler. The mods take a great deal of trouble (to moderate the forum), is it unreasonable to ask members to take a little bit of trouble and read and digest the rules?

Doing away with the forsale section would surely make your lives alot easier aswell ? No issues with people not being able to post pictures. People treating the place like a forsale forum instead of woodworking forum first, is beginning to grind my gears :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":i5nty8pw said:
Doing away with the forsale section would surely make your lives alot easier aswell ? No issues with people not being able to post pictures. People treating the place like a forsale forum instead of woodworking forum first, is beginning to grind my gears :lol:

But no one is forcing you to read the For Sale section. I find it very helpful for both selling items I no longer use or need and without having to pay a load of fees to eBay etc which means the price can be lowered a bit as well for potential purchasers. And buying the odd item as well.

I view 'last unread' via tapatalk- it just shows up in the feed

I was just thinking out loud how the mods workload could be reduced.
I can see why it could be a useful, however the few who just use the forum for buying and selling get on my wick a bit. How about a new unwritten rule- everytime you bump a forsale item, lower the price by 10% ! :lol:

I use view new posts so I can monitor all forums simultaneously, so I also see all the FS feeds. But like Roger I value the FS forum because it does give a genuine benefit to members by connecting buyers and sellers with VERY relevant things, often nearly new, without incurring some big corporations, tax dodging, transaction fees...whoops, slipped into Ben Elton mode there for a minute!!

But the rules have evolved over many years in response to one tricky situation after another so they do have a tendency to illicit questions. The fact is they are highly evolved and could provide a model to other forums because they have grown over so many years.

The solution is really very simple, folks need to take the time to read and digest the rules....that's the incredibly small price that needs to be paid to access a world of excellent quality, diverse and relevant tools, materials for zero transaction fees. It's really not asking anything to reasonably access this fabulous resource.

What would be really helpful is a membership wide understanding and acceptance that if a post has disappeared, it's broken a rule and a mod has whopped it. In that event, the member should simply....yes you guess it...read the rules and then reconfigure their FS post with the error corrected....then it wont disappear :)

ColeyS1":3kdlugi5 said:
I was just thinking out loud how the mods workload could be reduced.
I can see why it could be a useful, however the few who just use the forum for buying and selling get on my wick a bit. How about a new unwritten rule- everytime you bump a forsale item, lower the price by 10% ! :lol:

Here you go...... :)

prozac-20mg-tablet.png.pagespeed.ce.dSNnQV1so-.png

I use Tapatalk all the time and scroll through the "Unread" - under each, in smaller letters it indicates which forum it has come from.
Quite easy to skip the for sale items.

Rod

Harbo":3lo2p1x4 said:
I use Tapatalk all the time and scroll through the "Unread" - under each, in smaller letters it indicates which forum it has come from.
Quite easy to skip the for sale items.

Rod
I should do that. Usually I look for the number next to unread to gauge how much time I have to spend reading/responding to each. Its a habit I've got into cause I mostly read the forum in lunch/dinner times.
Just looked at the how many unread posts and I had 8 new unread posts to read ! Woo hoo ! Scrolled down to look, 5 of em were for sales :lol:

ColeyS1":3qxocs2p said:
Just looked at the how many unread posts and I had 8 new unread posts to read ! Woo hoo ! Scrolled down to look, 5 of em were for sales :lol

But, somehow, it doesn't seem quite so annoying now, does it? :)

MrTeroo":301qsr6x said:
ColeyS1":301qsr6x said:
Just looked at the how many unread posts and I had 8 new unread posts to read ! Woo hoo ! Scrolled down to look, 5 of em were for sales :lol

But, somehow, it doesn't seem quite so annoying now, does it? :)

Nope, it takes the edge off, like a new piece of 120 grit sandpaper.
You're funny :lol:

Back