Just won a Record Power Model 0 - what now!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
As title, after a long time waiting around and wanting a cheap lathe to play with to see if i like it, finally won one from the popular auction site for £100 that is local so not too bad.

so it has a few chisels, a nova chuck, a box of odds and sods (from the pic a drill chuck, some calipers and other things that may or may not be required) and some hardwood to use (looks like planks of some nature).

So what now! i have the keith Rowley book, but anything i should prepare for (apart from get bench space for it).

I dont know how long it is, but believe the bars can be cut if it is too large for the space so that's not a concern.

Tool sharpening, i will have to do it by hand at the moment but that should be ok once i find the angles required.

Dust control, it will be in in the outhouse so generally i just hoover up once finished.

PPE - What would people recommend? a full face or just goggles?

thanks all, and any advice/tips accepted :)

Safety glasses unless you're using stuff that's way out of balance or likely to split, then full face is good - I use my chainsaw helmet. A decent grinder is a must, the size is a matter of preference - some will tell you get an 8", but my club has three or four, and I doubt there's a wheel over 5". Most of the experienced turners there won't use a pro edge as they like hollow grinds, but that's opening a can of worms.

PPE is something that we all should consider for me I have one of THESE and wish I had brought it a lot earlier. But a good set of eye protection and a dust mask is a must.

Sharpening equipment should also be on top of the list as blunt tools not only give a bad finish but can also be the cause of catches. i would get a bench grinder at the very least you can make your own jigs to get the correct angle this will see you to start with.

Read and learn from the book you have and follow the exercises in it until happy with each one. And even better if there is a club near you go along and join there are always members who can show you hands on when you have problems

must be a full face. I've just been lucky with goggles in the past. In that nothing hit me in the face. full face is the way to go.

I have a trend air shield for sale in the for sale forum. I have a 6" white grinding wheel I can throw in if it would be of any use (i upgraded to 8").

Best advice I can give is learn how to sharpen the tools. I wasted sooo long not doing it properly and it just slows down every single thing when turning if the tools are not sharp.

buzzby":2d2allwd said:
must be a full face. I've just been lucky with goggles in the past. In that nothing hit me in the face. full face is the way to go.

I have a trend air shield for sale in the for sale forum. I have a 6" white grinding wheel I can throw in if it would be of any use (i upgraded to 8").

Best advice I can give is learn how to sharpen the tools. I wasted sooo long not doing it properly and it just slows down every single thing when turning if the tools are not sharp.

Thanks, had a look but a not interested yet on spending a fortune on accessories until i know i like turning. i was on a woodwork course the other year and sharpening was a big feature.

probably have to spend the same again next payday on the accessories to sharpen!

I am not a vastly experienced turner, but I can recall the days when I was at the stage that you are.

Your next expense needs to be sharpening I think.

To start with, you will have some fun simply turning some long square bits of wood to round with a spindle roughing gouge between centres. Just have a play. practice getting a decent finish. practice getting a nice straight dowel. practice a few tapers on the end. use whatever wood you have- offcuts, cheap spindle blanks etc. You could try firewood, but for your first few bits, I would avoid, because it can be more problematic to balance and get started when you are brand new to it. From there, I did similarly with a skew. People moan about this tool, but I didn't have an issue learning it from youtube. I am not recommending the skew at this point, but I personally preferred it as a tool for rounding spindles.

Use a minimum of safety glasses. Spindle turning is relatively safe in small diameters, and in my opinion, you don't need a face shield.

When you have mastered the basics above, pen turning isn't that different. A bit more equipment, a bit more accuracy required. certainly a step up, but not that big a step. You could also look at making things like garden dibbers, rolling pins, honey dippers etc etc. They are all variants on that simple turning between centres.

I can't advise on bowls etc, but if that is your interest, basic competency on spindles won't be wasted anyway, and is a better place to start.

Sorry for bringing up this old post again. I’ve just won one on EBay. Do you have instructions for yours at all? I also am missing a tool rest.....so thought I could see what other accessories I might be missing.

Back