Heart Shaped Ring box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps

I was commissioned to make a ring box for a wedding, so I decided to make a heart shaped one.
So the tricky bit was making it open, I needed custom hinges.
I dug out some offcuts of 3mm brass and cut some P shapes out and drilled 1.6mm holes in them.

Hinges by Racers, on Flickr

When strung on some brazing wire they looked like they would work.

Hinges by Racers, on Flickr

So I cut a piece of Padouk to the rough size planed one face flat and marked the highest points of a heart shape I printed out.
Then saw and chiselled out slots for the hinges, I have a home made 3mm chisel which helped.
Once they fitted I cut the heart shape drilled out the cavitys for the rings, and made some inserts to hold the rings from foam and suede.
Drill a couple of holes for magnets and filled a notch for easy opening.

Heart ring box by Racers, on Flickr

I gave it a coat of Wood silk furniture polish which showed up some faults.

Heart ring box waxed by Racers, on Flickr

Heart ring box open by Racers, on Flickr

So a bit more sanding and a coat of Renaissance wax and it was finished.

Photos now sorted!

Pete

Hand made hinges. Usual slap dash attitude Pete. :wink: Someone will be very happy.

Nice box, even nicer simple hinges.
What did you use to keep the magnets in? I've tried wood glue as well as super glue but they still pull back out. I even tried squeezing them into undersized holes, but that didnt end well.

Lovely job, looks really well/properly made.

sunnybob":z8k4k7kh said:
What did you use to keep the magnets in?
I've used CA glue with no prob's before Bob, the holes were snug [5 or 6mm IIRC] and just the right depth for good glue contact all round.

Thanks chaps.

I used epoxy to hold the magnets in the same stuff that holds the hinges in.

Pete

Lovely work, Pete. A good answer to the question "What can I make from this tiny offcut of wood that's too nice to throw away?"
And a new entry on the list of projects to get round to copying.

I've used CA, and epoxy, with poor results.

Mike, you mentioned the hole size, are making the hole LARGER than the magnet? I've been working on the opposite principle.

Nominally the same size Bob, push in rather than drop in, but thumb only. If it's the right depth too then the glue grabs well over half the surface area. I buggered up and the wood moved, I tried to plane it back flat-ish, caught one of the magnets and it actually took a small bit off the magnet rather than dislodge it.

He picked it up today and was over the moon.

Pete

Guessing that box will become a lifelong and dearly treasured family heirloom Pete, very close to someones heart (no pun intended btw). For a tiny box it will hold a lot of memories. Created something a bit special there really when you think about it.

Back