advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish to cut a small circle or square out of a piece of oak so that i can attach a clock mechanism in the back with out going all the way through the oak block whats the best method to do this any suggestion welcome ALAN

lots of ways to do this. The simplest id this one;
Mark the shape out, use a forstner drill bit to hog out most of the waste, then a hammer and chisel to smooth out the sides and bottom.

I would use a router table and cut the shape out in a lot of small passes but that would assume you have a table and know how to rout blind shapes by setting up stop blocks.
How thick is the oak?

Router with guide bush and template.

For a square, 4 strips of 9mm mdf glued with super glue and activator. If you make the bits wide enough, you can then screw on some battens on the face for strength.

Dont try and cut a square hole out of a single piece of mdf, it takes a lot longer.

For a circle, router in table and a circle cutting jig -I drill a hole through, then use the same drill bit as the centre pin to rotate.

I'd do something similar to Bob or Bob but with a hand router rather than an electric one. Draw the shape, define it with a chisel, (or gouge, if it's a circle) then chisel out to depth. Like a series of mortices, side by side. Short, stabbing cuts. Level off with the router.
Or use a Forstner or centre bit to excavate some of the waste, then chisel and rout. Trim back to the final line when most of the wood is removed to full depth.

No need for a jig, no dust, more satisfying. But there are lots of ways, all good.

Andy, he only wants a hole big enough for a quartz clock movement, about 3" square.

sunnybob":19way738 said:
Andy, he only wants a hole big enough for a quartz clock movement, about 3" square.

I understand that. Hardly worth plugging a router in!

I cant get my head around a hand router that would make a hold that small. I shall never appreciate hand tools for as long as I have electricity.

Does it have to be in to a solid block?

A workaround would be to start with 2 thinner pieces. Cut the square/ hole in one with a coping saw, and then glue it to the "face" piece.

Best/easiest method depends on what tools you have access to.

Back