Combining a router table and radial arm drill cabinet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
I have an Axi radial arm drill that needs a new home in the workshop, and I have an old trend craftsmen router table that I rarely use as I find it a bit basic and awkward to use.

So, I thought I would build a new cabinet combining the two functions, I'll sell the old router table/cabinet and buy an insert and router lift. The radial arm drill can be offset from the centre slightly so it doesn't drill into the insert but they can share the same fence, t-tracks and table etc.

I have plenty of depth so I can put the drill base behind the fence and when not in use the whole drill head can be swiveled through 90 degrees out of the way.

Anybody done anything similar? I like to plagiarise all the best ideas before moving to beer mat and pencil :)

Cheers
Andy

Andy, I've thought about this too, but haven't got round to it either. Remember to use a circular sacrificial drill insert? Rotating one such is easier than a rectangular one.

Sam

SammyQ":b3snxaeh said:
Andy, I've thought about this too, but haven't got round to it either. Remember to use a circular sacrificial drill insert? Rotating one such is easier than a rectangular one.

Sam

Cheers Sam
Being a radial arm drill, I think the sacrificial insert will have to be a long rectangle :)

Andy

I'll let you know how it goes Sammy, I may make separate tables or combine, I'm still using CAD to put my thoughts down. When I mean CAD, I mean Cardboard Aided Design, its a beer mat :)

I spent 2 years in Belfast a while ago working. A lovely city, I have some very fond memories of the Spaniards bar among others, many others!

No need to combine the two now, just bought this, I pick it up in the morning. When I say pick it up, all 546kg, I mean load it onto the trailer with a fork lift :)

s-l1600.jpg

It's a Meddings Pacera A10 articulated pillar drill. I have been looking for one for a while. It has a gearbox so will do 80 rpm which is great for big holes in metal and it has deeper throat than your average small radial arm drill at 609mm, just about half the average ply board.

It needs a bit of fettling but I enjoy that.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,033
Back