Refinishing Pine Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrockliffe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some second hand bedroom furniture for a baby's room, the boss has decided that it's too dark. It's not too dark, but it is too orange, but either way I've been instructed to sand it and 'do something about it'.

I've tested the sander on it to see how big a job it'll be, it's some sort of staining or stained hard lacquer stuff, you chaps might no better, it's Mammas and Pappas bedroom furniture. It's not easy to sand, but reasonably quick if I blast it with a belt sander before breaking through to the wood with something a bit more subtle, so I suspect it's not sufficiently difficult that I can get out of doing it. The wood underneath is a very light pine-type wood that looks like decent quality for what it is, but it doesn't seem to take a stain very well.

I've tried a danish oil, a sanding sealer, a light oak stain and some Sovereign SX70. Only the sovereign changed the colour more than a tiny bit, but the sovereign is too much work to apply evenly and without brush strokes and it comes out with a slightly green hue on pine, so it's not really an option. All the others are marginally better than the original orange, but ideally I'd like something a bit darker, that I can varnish over to give a nice child-friendly finish.

So, what would you do?

Paint.
If it's for a baby you could stick on pictures etc and varnish over. Babys aren't generally bothered about finer details of varnish and stains and probably wouldn't even be bothered if you just left it as it is.

Jacob":1sl3qua1 said:
Babys aren't generally bothered about finer details of varnish and stains and probably wouldn't even be bothered if you just left it as it is.

Ha! Wise words.

It wasn't the baby that asked for the furniture to be refinished!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ha ha, no, she'll pick pink and grey again and I'll get a headache painting it and be unable to enter the room. I think I've got a plan....

Back