Mobile base for heavy circular saw table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBertie

Reaction score
Ok, don't shout at me for being stupid...but...

I want to put one of those adjustable mobile bases under a heavy table Saw. The base gets assembled to the right size first but how do I then get it under the table Saw ....without using brute force and plently of ignorance?! With previous equipment I've sort of wiggled the machine on to the mobile base but with something weighing 160kg I think, that just isn't possible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

BigBertie

If I remember right I just partially assembled the base tilted the saw at an angle slid base under propped up with some bits of 3x2 assembled last peice removed 3x2 easier if you have someone to give you a hand.hope this helps

BigBertie":2js1pgca said:
Ok, don't shout at me for being stupid...but...

I want to put one of those adjustable mobile bases under a heavy table Saw. The base gets assembled to the right size first but how do I then get it under the table Saw ....without using brute force and plently of ignorance?! With previous equipment I've sort of wiggled the machine on to the mobile base but with something weighing 160kg I think, that just isn't possible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

BigBertie

I have a fold away engine hoist Not too expensive and useful for all sorts of jobs . Round about £100 should get you one.
Timber

use a hydraulic jack (bottle or trolley) to raise one side of the saw aand support it on a rasied scaffold plank and then raise the other side and do the same. slide in the base and lower

It's going to be the Scheppach Precisa 3 which weighs in at 160 kg. So a chunky beast but it needs to be mobile...

give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum to place it on and I will move the world.

as said above, lift one side, prop, lift other side, prop. if the base is wider than the base of the saw then use struts and lift it a few times to get it high enough on blocks outside the size of the base, then lower it on to the base in the reverse manner. :)

You're way way overthinking this ...
I'd just tilt the thing and slide a length of timber underneath it ...
That saw should not be too heavy to tilt on edge ,slide timber under no prob.
If your base is tall you might have to do this twice...
Tilt, slide 2 lengths of timber ,tilt and stick another length ...this should get it tall enough
Presuming you don't want to scratch paintwork underneath new machine....
I've started making a base for my TA 275 at the moment..
I am making a levering system kinda like a Carl Holmgren style ...
Wheels sitting inside cabinet though, and all metal instead
while wiring VFD with switches kinda like that bar design on his TS too .
Gonna wire this new VFD to test it now
Good luck with your new saw

Hmmm...
You've now got me thinking Scheppach Precisa 3
It looks the Dog's Partridge :)

Had in mind a new Axminster AW10BSB2 or Charnwood 650

This is the best deal I could find

I have an older TS4010 which is pretty heavy with the sliding table on. You can tip it up on to one side relatively easily to fit a mobile base, which I had original fitted.

I ditched this as it wasn't that mobile with only 2 swivel wheels and such a big heavy saw.

I have now made and fitted a Matthias Wandle type lift http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/table_saw.html. With the parallel mechanism I can lift the saw up on to the carriage with one arm and with 4 swivel casters it is very manoeuvrable. The only compromise is the increased foot print size.

P_20170216_174442.jpg

It cost about £25 to make from off cuts, Penny skate board, Aldi trolley thing, flat steel bar and M8 hardwear.

The big advantage is you don't have to lift the saw up to fit Matthias's lifting mechanism.

Bright-Spark

Attachments

• P_20170216_174442.jpg
    P_20170216_174442.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 107
I had the same issue with my new Charnwood WD650 which I believe comes in at 125kg. I made a simple mobile base which ended up about 3" - 4" high. It was a suitably sized sheet of chipboard with a lockable castor wheel at each corner. I just removed as much as I could, sliding table etc, tilted the saw body, resting it against a wall so it could not topple over. I then slid the wheeled base unit underneath as far as it would go and jockeyed the saw into position. Would have been much easier with a helper, and I would nt necessarily recommend doing this on your own from a H&S perspective, but I managed it.

Main problem was stopping the base unit sliding away when you are jockeying the saw onto it. Lock the castors and you may also need some additional wheel chocks in place temporarily.

I am going to make a small mod by putting a lip on each corner as the saw can move around slightly over time, so I want to ensure it is secured into place.

BTW, although not a major user by any stretch of the imagination, just enthusiastic amateur, I really like the WD 650.

Back