Standing or sitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhimages

Established Member
Reaction score
My saw is too low to stand comfortably and too high when sitting. I need to adjust it but
For standing or sitting??
I have not done enough scrolling to decide which is best for me.
Stand or sit? What's your preference

Personally I sit, but I have a back & shoulders problem.

From posts on this site, and others, it really does seem to be a matter of personal preference, and a preference you can only work out for yourself after several long-ish cutting sessions.

My advice would be rig up something firm enough to reliably saw on at, say, your preferred sitting height, then try it for a while. Then try the same set up but raised to your standing height for a while. Only then go for the final height solution which is good for you personally.

BTW, if you do go for sitting I strongly recommend a swivel chair without arms which is height and back rest angle adjustable. It may be just me and my bl--dy back, but I find it necessary to change the height of the seat (and the back rest angle) slightly now and then - maybe several times during a lengthy cutting session.

(Same with sitting at the PC too, but that's another story)!

HTH

AES

Looks like I'm sitting lol

Attachments

• laterals.jpg
    laterals.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,245
I find sitting and with the saw on it's own quite low 3 legged stand which is tilted up at the back (or is it down at the front? :)) to give you a more vertical view of the cut the most comfortable.

Image1.jpg

Col.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,215
I have the Axminster stand for my ex16.
I will lower it as far as it will go and start from there

gjhimages":iigfzta5 said:
I have the Axminster stand for my ex16.
I will lower it as far as it will go and start from there

Try sticking a couple of blocks of wood under the rear legs to tilt it forward before you start modifying your stand it should give you a good idea before the spanners come out.

its currently on the 3rd hole all round
i may just lower the front by one hole at a time until it feels right
is a sloped table comfortable to work on?

Sitting for me, but I am disabled by (MS), so standing is not an option, but as others have said, do a temporary rig for both sitting and standing to see which is for you.

Happy scrolling and may your blades be tight. :D

Chris.

standing for me for the majority, unless I'm at it for an extended period (not that often, I tend to use it over a couple of days between other jobs and my stuff is rarely just scroll saw work) but I do have a tall stool so I can sit if I feel the need.

I prefer to sit. I have a bar stool type seat that raises and lowers and I find I do that a few times in a session. The saw is raised 2" higher at the back and sits on a Workmate. I try to take a break every 1/2 hour but certainly need a break every hour.
Hope this helps, its just the way I prefer.

take care
Don W
PS Haven't cut anything this year yet and it is still snowing at the moment after some snow last night.

I have lowered the front of the stand by approx 2" it already feels better when sat in front
I have tried my partners 'typist chair' that also improves the seating position , its mine now!!!
she'll have to make do with the ex scroll chair , an old dining chair approx 150yrs old, we have 2 in the crafty room sadly not a pair
, maybe i could use the wood for my next project mmmm?

I'm new to all this so perhaps I'm missing something, but surely you don't need to set up your saw based on you just sitting or just standing do you?

I've been mostly standing to use my new toy, but would like the option to sit down if I want to, so when I get around to building my stand, I'll build it a suitable height for standing at and then get an appropriate seat for when I want to sit down.

Chris

what you tend to find with sitting vs standing is that the saw being flat when sat is a bit more awkward as you can't lean over it as easily, so they tend to slope the saw a few degrees.

Back