Circular Saw Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that most circular saws have the blade on the right hand side of the tool when looking front on and using right handed. I'm curious as to why this is? Most people are right handed, so surely it would make sense for the blade to be on the left so you have more visibility of the cut?

Are there design benefits to a particular way?

ae235

ae235

Maybe it is just me, but as a right handed person, I find it awkward.

One point is that the arbor thread would then have to be left handed. Not impossible of course but a little costlier as not standard.

Most of the time, the piece you want to keep is quite big and you need to cut a much smaller piece off. So you support the big piece, to your left, hold the saw in your right hand and let the relatively small offcut fall away. Just like you would do with a handsaw.
The weight of the circular saw is supported by the big, wanted piece of wood, so stays supported as you complete the cut.

Also, you can use your left knee to hold the big piece down.

Had been pondering the exact same question in relation to the 18v deWalt battery saws. Earlier models have blade on right of motor, later, otherwise apparently identical, have blade on left. Tried newer type and it just felt WRONG. But did help me appreciate left handed son in laws problems with some tools.

Back