Sub-£500 table saw - DW745?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - been lurking around here for a while and figured it was about time I pulled my finger out and set up an account! :D

I run a small handyman business and it's about time I invested in a table saw. I can't justify spending too much on it since I don't cut *that much* wood BUT I want something vaguely decent that will last. It's mainly for ripping down material for shelves, the odd alcove cupboard (so 18mm MDF) etc., repairs to kitchen cabinets etc.

I've got it narrowed down to:-

Charnwood W619 - top end of budget at £499
Scheppach TISA 5.0 - £450
Jet JTS-315 - £400
Dewalt DW745 - £400-£500

Most of the time it will be in my little workshop so I don't need it to be *that* portable, but I've read nothing but good things about the Dewalt hence throwing that into the mix.

Thoughts?

Andy

I've had the Dewalt for a couple of years now, used almost daily. It's a very good little saw, fairly light weight easy to put in & out of the van. the fence is very accurate and rack and pinion too.The mitre guide is dung though.

I think with any contractor style saw it's unrealistic to expect the mitre fence to be anything other than pants. Table saw's at twice that price rarely if ever come with a decent mitre fence. It's the classic after market either home made sled or expensive gadget upgrade...Incra etc. But the Dewalt does have the important bases covered.

I have to say I'm swaying towards the Dewalt and it's suitably portable that I'm more likely to sling it into the back of the truck instead of the myriad other tools I take out on a job 'just in case' :).

Next question - any experience with Toolstop? Seems unusually cheap on there - at that price I'm tempted to get the legs too! One less thing to build!

The Charnwood is in a different league with its sliding carriage, cast iron table and induction motor but it's certainly not portable. :)

It's the only one I'd consider - but we probably have different needs.

The others are site saws.

RogerP":19qohgqe said:
The Charnwood is in a different league with its sliding carriage, cast iron table and induction motor but it's certainly not portable. :)

It's the only one I'd consider - but we probably have different needs.

The others are site saws.

I agree with RogerP on this one, unless of course your prerequisite is to be mobile. Poolewood have it for £465, inc (delivery for most areas);

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Cha ... e_Saw.html

That said, I don't know what the quality of the Charnwood will be and suspect the Dewalt will trump it in this department.

Also, given your budget I would seriously consider a track saw. You could get a Festool TS55 and a full set of rails and clamps for that budget;

http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/fes ... lamps.html

You may find it more productive depending on the size of material you intend to break down and the quality of the cut will be superb. It also gives others options with the rails for jigsaws, routers and things like the LR32 going forward - just a thought as I know so many people who have sold their table saws after getting track saws.

That's a really good point that I didn't consider. If you're cutting a lot of sheet goods on site then a track saw is definitely a worthy consideration. If you're fitting kitchens, skirting, architraves ie smaller stock sizes and just need a general ripping tool then the table saw design is probably more fit for purpose.

Oh, I'd just narrowed it down to the Dewalt... I have to say a track saw is VERY tempting but I can just think of more situation where a table saw would be more useful - repeat cuts, ripping down narrow stock etc. But now I want a track saw too, thanks. ;-)

I dismissed the Charnwood for some reason and can't remember why - it looks great for the money! Really struggling to find reviews of it though. Just looks a bit too good to be true and I do trust Dewalt... hmm...

90% of the time if I'm cutting sheet material I'll do it before going to site in the workshop, although it's not uncommon to remove a kitchen cabinet and be asked to build something else before leaving using the boards I'd just ripped out... but even then I think the Dewalt wins... just... I think...

That kitchen improvisation you described is exactly what my kitchen fitters used the Dewalt for...to great effect. I think it's only limitation and where a tracksaw wins is when you're dealing with sheet goods at the 8x4 stage or even half that and they're just too unwieldy to mount on the table. But the tracksaws fail on ripping small stock

Random Orbital Bob":1lmbvbxx said:
I was going to use your case to illustrate why buying the Charnwood might not be a good idea Larry.......but thought better of it :)

If you look in the metal working forum you will notice thankfully I do have one working bandsaw :)

Back