Stanley 62 low angle plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
As posted in another thread, we have just had a new central heating system put in, so are penniless at the moment. But................ I couldn't resist this bargain one of the new Stanley 62 low angle jack planes. I had been thinking for along time about getting a low angle plane and have been keeping a lookout on ebay, but nothing has come up thats affordable. but I stumbled on this site belonging to a small tool firm in London selling Stanley 62 planes for £88.36, free postage. Now the cheapest I could find usually were £105 including postage up to a whopping £160.
So read a LOT of reviews on these planes. To start with it seems there were a few problems, which have now been sorted and according to all the reviews I have read the plane on offer now is really really good, some in fact saying they compare very well if not equal to LN, now I take that last remark with a pinch of salt until I get the plane in my hand.

Where I purchased my plane from have a full range of Stanley Premium planes, as far as I can see the cheapest in the country.
http://www.toollineuk.com/search.php?se ... y+Premium+

http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/s ... /STA112137

By the way I have no interest in this firm what so ever, just passing on as a help to forum members.

I'm edging myself towards investing in low-angle jack myself; my current favourite would be the Quangsheng from WH (£150 + PP, rather more than your purchase, but includes three blades ground to different angles, and a considerable degree of reassurance about quality).

Still ... £88 is a very persuasive argument, if the Stanley is at all useful. I'll look forward to hearing what you think about this plane.

Chris

PS: BTW, could it be that the deep discount is because this offering is old stock - with the attendant quality problems you mention (sorry if I'm raining on your parade! :oops: )? Hope not.

[quote PS: BTW, could it be that the deep discount is because this offering is old stock - with the attendant quality problems you mention (sorry if I'm raining on your parade! :oops: )? Hope not.[/quote]

I don't think so , as the first planes were introduced a few years ago in 2008, If however it is and has problems I will just return it and save up for one of Matthews planes.

Here is a quote from Chris Schwarz reviewing the plane in 2010
"Conclusion
The logical question at this point is where this tool, at $180, is compared
to its competitors. I think it’s still a notch below the Lie-Nielsen
($245) and Veritas ($220) versions, though only for aesthetic reasons.
The brass knobs aren’t as finished. The casting is a little rougher –
stuff like that. "

Here is the link to the review

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw ... et-perfect

Now I dont mind if the plane isn't painted as nice or has a handle like a Veritas or if the brass knobs are not as shiny, as long as its as good doing the job its made for as a LN or Veritas, Id be VERY happy.

Full review, with photo's and video in Buying advice/Tool review section on here, now posted.

Thanks for that. I've just ordered one as I was thinking of getting one for a while but even felt the Qsheng were a bit dear.

Don't really need one though!

Is it a 38 degree blade?

selly":3civf327 said:
Thanks for that. I've just ordered one as I was thinking of getting one for a while but even felt the Qsheng were a bit dear.

Don't really need one though!

Is it a 38 degree blade?
Hi Selly,
The blade as supplied
The iron face is set at 37 degrees
Primary bevel 25 degrees
Micro bevel 30 degrees.
But if you have a spare blade you could hone it to any other degree for different cut angles

Well this has certainly come full circle.

It was Stanley who first came up with this plane - an extended and beefed up block plane as they thought, forgetting that their block plane had replaced the small mitre and this was a larger mitre.
However Stanley used the same grey cast iron as with all their cast planes and the back of the low angled mouth would chip - as did the block planes but less disastrously so as they weren't such a low angle and were less wide.

So the model was discontinued, yet still became a madly collected item despite its faults. So much so that it was eventually copied by Veritas in a 'ductile' iron casting thus giving us a usable, large, adjustable mitre.

I bought one - (when they were £150 :shock: ) and since then Veritas have copied and improved on nearly every Stanley success as have others but this model has been the staple of every new plane company; it's such a useful plane. First they were able to charge lots of dosh, but now they must yield to competition between themselves, finally won out price-wise it would seem by .... Stanley. :)

Back