Spalted sycamore bowl critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
Called in to see Paul at Isca Woodcrafts yesterday and saw this blank in the bargain bucket, reduced to £2.50. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say so I parted with the cash and got it home.
It was a joy to turn and I ended up with this...
P1010133.jpg

P1010130.jpg

P1010129.jpg

I'll probably remount it and turn off the foot but I have to say I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I took it to a friend earlier who had asked for a bowl for his girlfriend for tomorrow and he kinda politely turned his nose up at it, settling instead for a plain old lime bowl.
I'm not too bothered about that though as I think it'll be on the mantlepiece in my own place for a while, at least until I get a decent offer for it, fingers crossed!

Nicely done and well worth the £2.50 :D
Edit -: I didn't see the critique bit so-
I think the bowl would look better if it had more of a curve from top to bottom,the way it is now does make it look bottom heavy.I always like to try and get these sort of pieces as thin as i can,so would like to have sen the wall thickness slightly thinner.The foot could be left on,giving it that slight lift but maybe not so prominent.Good effort though :D

Lovely wood, right up my street LOL. I'm with Paul re: the curve. I try not to have any straight lines in a bowl if I can help it as it always makes them clunky looking IMHO. Personally I wouldn't have gone any thinner , might even have left it thicker but I prefer thick sided bowls in woods like this. The finish looks good and generally it's only design which is a matter of taste that evokes any critique from me.

pete

I would have taken it thinner but I'm afraid I whimped out as there were a few ominous looking "features" which I thought would probably just end up pebble dashing me and my garage roof if I kept going so decided on discretion being the better part of valour. All comments are very welcome though so thanks for taking the time.
Cheers

That's a gorgeous bowl, lovely piece of wood and perfect finish, I wouldn't dare to take a closeup shot like that :).
I agree that it would be slightly more appealing IMHO if the outer rim turned inwards toward the top, with the inner edge 'as is', giving a thinner lip and softer exterior.
Your mate's a philistine.

Thanks Mike,
I read an article somewhere about giving Your tool a sharpen just before taking the final cut on a piece and I have to say it works a treat. Having a sharp edge taking a very fine cut saves ages with sandpaper and everything eklse that goes with sanding.
I don't blame him though, taste is a very personal thing and what's good for one isn't the case for the next guy.
Mike

Hi Mike.
I do not like thin bowls so the thickness looks good to me.
I do not personaly like the shape i like a more rounded shape.
I think this is a nicer shape but it is all about personal taste.

DSC00223.jpg

Latest posts

Back