Some new bits: Critique welcome on either

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted much recently as I've been mainly doing less interesting things such as drop spindles and crochet hooks but I have just been wiped out of all my bigger bowls and rustic stuff so have a good excuse to do some.

12" yew bowl with undercut rim

8" hollow form in beech. Side, top and bottom. The wood very much dictated the shape this turned out.

Very nice .

Love the bow, that a fab bit of wood yew have with the edge.

No idea how you go into that hollow form though, some of your rustic turning do scare me !

Regards

laurence

I find hollowing wood like this easier than the sort of thing that George does, You can often see the tool cutting inside so have an idea of what is happening. Working blind on a normal one, I frequently go through the side.

Pete

I like them both Pete, but the Yew really blows me frock up.

It`s a lovely piece of wood, I have a similar piece & I only hope i can do it as much justice.

Can i ask what you`ve finished both pieces with.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thanks Doug. I use renaissance wax for most things now. Mark (Sanger version) converted me. Seems expensive but a little goes a long long way The bowl is a basic ogee shape underneath with the rim undercut to act as a handle. The bead on top corresponds with the outside of the curve underneath. I personally prefer bowls with a lot of grain to be simple to allow the wood to speak for itself.

Pete

Hi Pete,
I very much like both of these pieces, each one different in it's own way.

I personally prefer bowls with a lot of grain to be simple to allow the wood to speak for itself.

I couldn't agree more!

Malc :D

The hollow Beech should get some attention, looks like a real talking piece. I'm sure the boring tool would just catch and rip it to bits if I attempted such on a rustic piece.

You have managed to incorporate enough natural features in the the Yew Platter to avoid straying from your 'signature' :lol: but managed to produce a piece with enough conformity to be accepted as a user if so needed, difficult to see in the side view due to the shadow of the rim but I note you have matched the face beading location with the bowl wall to provide continuity of form.

The micocrystaline wax finish has popped the grain features to best advantage I think and should wear well, only reservation on the finishing front, and it may be down to photography angle but I think I detect a slight soft wood sanding flat at 10 o.clock on the rim.
12inchyewbowl.jpg

Attachments

• 12inchyewbowl.jpg
    12inchyewbowl.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 187
CHJ":20cke528 said:
The hollow Beech should get some attention, looks like a real talking piece. I'm sure the boring tool would just catch and rip it to bits if I attempted such on a rustic piece.

You have managed to incorporate enough natural features in the the Yew Platter to avoid straying from your 'signature' :lol: but managed to produce a piece with enough conformity to be accepted as a user if so needed, difficult to see in the side view due to the shadow of the rim but I note you have matched the face beading location with the bowl wall to provide continuity of form.

The micocrystaline wax finish has popped the grain features to best advantage I think and should wear well, only reservation on the finishing front, and it may be down to photography angle but I think I detect a slight soft wood sanding flat at 10 o.clock on the rim

Fussy :lol: I hadn't noticed but I'll check. I hand sanded the bead so that I didn't get a flat but may have been heavy handed.

pete

Great couple of pieces Pete :D
The Yew looks lovely and the bead sets it off a treat,gives it that something extra to look at.
Great work on the HF.I also find it easier doing them with holes in like this as as you say you can see the tool tip inside :D

Thank you everyone. Nice to be able to make something different again. Though I had to do another 5 drop spindles this afternoon. Still not quite as bad as Richards spindles, that'd really drive me nuts.

Pete

Hi Bodrighy,

Appologies but I seem to have missed your post.

I'm with the rest on these 2 pieces, very beautiful wood and grain, especially in the platter.

The fact you turned the hollow from with all those pieces missing scares me at my amateur stage, looks very impressive indeed.

Cheers,

Lee.

gasmansteve":2g9rd1gu said:
Very nice pieces there Pete, never turned Yew must give it a go
Steve

Probably one of my favourite woods. Especially if you can get a bit of natural edged too as the bark goes everywhere and the shapes can be really wonderful. Turns so well you can start sanding at 400 more often than not. Unless it is very old heart wood as that is like turning cast iron.

Pete

These are very nice.

Spindles what are they, I go all ill if someone mentions spindles. :lol:

Unfortunately (or maybe not) most of my sales at the moment are to other crafters and are things like drop spindles, crochet hooks, bobbins etc. Haven't really got into the gallery work yet though I have one or two pieces out and am knocking on a few more doors this week. Having said that I did sell a job lot of my rustic work, payed up front to a handcrafted furniture shop in Bristol. He emailed back to tell me it all looks great in the shop. All good for the wallet and the ego

pete

Latest posts

Back