Should have done a WIP I know but!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I just managed to get this completed on Christmas eve (well I say completed just two ragged on coats of Osmo)

I fully appreciate I should have done a WIP however I get so engrossed I always forget to take pictures during construction

Its now had five coats of Osmo however I did get a bit of blooming where a warm dish was placed on the tablecloth during Christmas Dinner (how heatproof is Osmo) but cutback with a piece of 320 grit and another coat has cured it

Questions, comments, criticism’s or just your thoughts (anything to help me improve on the next project) are fully welcome

By the way it weighs a ton so won’t be moving it very far and the ability to bring it in through French windows is an absolute bonus

Thanks in anticipation (excuse the photo’s I’m going to be taking lessons)

That's really nice and looks really well made, congratulations.

I have one observation. The moulding under the table top edge makes the top look a bit thin, it may be the pictures, would it have looked more substantial if the edge had been left square with a small chamfer?

In the flesh it may not look like that at all so don't take this as a criticism it looks fantastic and quite similar to my dining table so I like the style and as I said the execution is wonderful. You should be very proud of that.

Mick

Now see I really like the edge detail on the table top.
I do like the legs, very very nice.
Well done sir.

I'm constantly stunned by the level of craftsmanship evident on this forum. It's extremely humbling. My own efforts are more akin to forestry in comparison to what some of you are getting up to.
I think that I agree with the comment about the edge moulding, but then again if I had made something this good and so well executed and finished I'd probably die of pride!!
Also, is that a Wadkin AGS 10 I spy in the background of the first pic? I also have one and have yet to make anything even close to this with it. Ho Hum!!!

That is a wonderful looking table. One hell of a project.
I am trying to improve my wood recognition skills which are abysmal so I am guessing the frame is ash, not sure about the top.

Lovely job, perfect for me as it is. Did you eat Christmas dinner on it? Edit: Just re read the post...yes you did!

Well done =D> Love the top stunning boards
As said is the folding top your design or made from a kit
Dave

Stunning piece of work. I'm very envious of your skills.

My work is a hash at best most of the time. The mechanism you've used would have my pondering it for months and I'd probably bottle it in the end and of made a once piece top which would be rustic at best.

That's some workshop space you have :) Jealous? Nooooo :)

The table is stunning, very elegant, and I particularly like the detailing on the legs and top frame. I would, from the photos at least, echo the comments regarding the apparent thickness of the top, however I think that probably adds to the elegance of the design...

So, yes please, a WIP next time.

Cheers,
Adam

Thanks all for the kind comments its very much appreciated, I will try to answer some of your queries

Zeddedhed":3uzsyvfl said:
Also, is that a Wadkin AGS 10 I spy in the background of the first pic? I also have one and have yet to make anything even close to this with it. Ho Hum!!!

Yes its a AGS, very good bit of kit, with my main machine being a combination machine its handy to have another saw when the spindle is being used on the Combi, in addition it will take a dado set which I use on occasion.

Grahamshed":3uzsyvfl said:
I am trying to improve my wood recognition skills which are abysmal so I am guessing the frame is ash, not sure about the top.

Its all American White Oak, mainly 2" (including the legs which were faced, glued then milled to finish size) the rails are 1 1/2"

markturner":3uzsyvfl said:
Very nicely done. Did you design and build the folding leaf system yourself, or is it based on a kit ?

Cheers, Mark

As I bet with most on the forum today the design was done on sketchup and issues regarding the pivoting system solved on there

I also did a 2 dimensional model out of 12mm ply to satisfy myself it would work

The hinges were sourced from here http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... nge/919191

the levelling pins were sourced from here (I considered making them myself but the cost compared with the work involved made it a no brainer http://www.bkservicesonline.co.uk/shop/ ... fb67083649

Incidentally the literature for the pins stated they were 8mm however with an 8mm drill they were sloppy that being said a 5/16 drill bit is approx 3 thou under 8mm which facilitated an interference fit

The pivots I made myself, I purchased two 5" stainless m10 bolts (these were actually allen bolts) four stainless half nuts and washers.

The process was to cut the heads off the bolts and turned down the end to 8mm for a length of 7mm (I have an engineering lathe) I then utilised two skateboard bearings the sizes being internal 8mm, external 22mm and width 7mm. The support blocks were cut from oak offcuts drilled 10mm and screwed to the leaf as shown the thread length had to be extended by approx 1" but as the thread was already started this was quite east to do with a tap/die set

These were all fixed along with the leaf ledges with pocket screws as they have what appears to be a built in washers

the leaf was fixed to the table after positioning it in situ by the levelling pins then screwing the bearing support pieces which had been predrilled at 22mm to the frame rails

No skills":3uzsyvfl said:
Width of the boards on top is nice, did you have any cupping problems from when you brought them?
I had assumed this was all oak, is it ash?

The boards were cupped on purchase the widths ranged from 7" to 13" and were 7' long which minimised waste on the finished width of the table being one metre. Prior to machining they had approx 3 weeks second seasoning indoors. there is plenty of support with the slide rails to restrict cupping and again fixed with pocket screws where I consider the flat of the washered head gives more support. the grain direction for the top was obviously decided upon so any movement will not bind up the sliding rails into the frame

You ask "How heatproof is Osmo?" Which Osmo did you use? Osmo Worktop Oil would have been the one, maybe it wasn't quite cured before it had the heat applied.
I expect it would be ok to cut back and apply a coat or two of Worktop oil.

Andy

andersonec":2xqc2x44 said:
You ask "How heatproof is Osmo?" Which Osmo did you use? Osmo Worktop Oil would have been the one, maybe it wasn't quite cured before it had the heat applied.

Andy
Thanks for that, I have read that worktop oil can be put on top of hardwax, is it more heatproof? Plus can it be put on top of danish oil as I may as well do my iroko worktops at the same time

katellwood":nnl52unf said:
andersonec":nnl52unf said:

Andy
Thanks for that, I have read that worktop oil can be put on top of hardwax, is it more heatproof? Plus can it be put on top of danish oil as I may as well do my iroko worktops at the same time

I would have thought it would go on top of another oil no problem, as long as there has not been any wax applied, then you would have to remove that with White spirit. I would give it a sand with some 240 grit just to get rid of any residue which may have accumulated or you may have to use a scraper to get close to the tiles or whatever up-stand you have.

I had a thought after posting the last reply which is I don't think whatever you finish your table with that you should put hot bowls or dishes straight on to the bare surface, I would definitely use some place mats. If one of those pots comes straight out of the oven it could knacker all your hard work, not for good but it may give you a headache, I know you like to look at your very excellent handiwork but I would cover it when it is to be used and uncover it between meals, you may want to apply some wax in the future to brighten it up a bit then you will definitely have to cover it when in use.

Andy

Back