shelf pins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to build a couple of bookcases and its all drilled out for 5 mm shelf pins just thought Id get an idea of what type others use. I'm thinking the type that you drill a 5 mm hole in the shelf too so it locks them in place or do I just use pegs and don't bother drilling holes in the shelf.

The shelves are only 200 x 400 x 19 veneered mdf.

images

images

images

Any tips , what do you use ??

Same principle but just short lengths of dowel ( if I want them adjustable). They cost nowt, look neat and work really well. You can refine them by adding a flat which will key them in, or add a little housing in the shelf to keep them located, shape them with a rounded end, use contasting hardwoods, etc. etc. but they are trouble free on the whole.
4no 10mm dowels say 20mm long (half in the hole) would support your 200 x 400 x 19 veneered mdf shelf.

I use the flat ones. You can get them in a variety of finishes and there is no work involved unlike dowels. I don't mind making my own stuff, but life's too short for stuff you can get 100 for a fiver.

The trouble with round ones is that you need to drill a semi circle into the edge of the wood which is a real pain, and you have to get the spacing perfect for every shelf...

Flat ones are the way to go.

wcndave":2vue95k6 said:
The trouble with round ones is that you need to drill a semi circle into the edge of the wood which is a real pain, and you have to get the spacing perfect for every shelf...
No need to do that. The weight of the shelf will indent the pin enough to locate it so you don't need to space them that precisely either.

wcndave":cqq5j53y said:
I use the flat ones. You can get them in a variety of finishes and there is no work involved unlike dowels. I don't mind making my own stuff, but life's too short for stuff you can get 100 for a fiver.
Have to agree. I quite like the clear plastic ones with a steel pin - I buy mine from eBay. Otherwise the steel Screwfix ones (first picture) are OK.

Pete

Thanks Peter, shame I didn't know about them before, I've had all the sides drilled with 5mm holes. A guy on the festool group also recommend magic wires. Can't believe I've never seen them before.

Peter Sefton":1geg3lp8 said:
They have been around for at least 25 years to my reckoning, but they are not that well known, maybe next time.

Cheers Peter

Longer than that!

I have some units in my office which I bought 33 years ago and they have that system. Works very well indeed.

Bob

Jacob":3ienhixl said:
wcndave":3ienhixl said:
No need to do that. The weight of the shelf will indent the pin enough to locate it so you don't need to space them that precisely either.

You're saying that you can push a plywood or laminated board into one of your wooden dowels? Doubt that. Even metal ones would be a pain. Also if you move the shelves and they
not perfect they won't bed into the indents. You also can't turn your shelves over in case of some sag.

in all it's just too much effort when pins are so cheap...

wcndave":21vealkr said:

You're saying that you can push a plywood or laminated board into one of your wooden dowels? Doubt that. Even metal ones would be a pain. .....
No I meant if you were using metal pins etc etc.
But if you were to use dowels and hard surfaces like ply, laminated etc you still don't need to cut a "matching" hole (semi- circular) a simple v would do it two taps with a chisel nobody would know.
Short dowels were widely used as shelf supports BTW in case anybody is wondering. I'll do a snap later, some 100 (?) year old shelves resting on 100 year old wood pegs. Very neat and inconspicuous. And even cheaper! Not that price is much of an issue but it's nice to use wood instead.

What about these anyone used these ones ? I seem to remember trying then once and they weren't as flat as they look and the shelves rocked slightly but I might be mistaken

28204515.jpg

wcndave":2w7rqmvq said:
Shelves would not rock due to a pin not being flat, rather because all 4 are not in one plane.

They would if one of the spade parts was bent , then the shelf wouldn't be sitting right.

chippy1970":ofjf4f0c said:
wcndave":ofjf4f0c said:
Shelves would not rock due to a pin not being flat, rather because all 4 are not in one plane.

They would if one of the spade parts was bent , then the shelf wouldn't be sitting right.

Really bent yes, however I've never seen one like that. It's not like you have to file the surface to 1 thou tolerance ;-)

Back