Scroll saw dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to ChippyGeoff for the ideas.
35mm O/D plastic pipe collecting dust above and below the table, with box below to collect anything missed by the suction.
The lower pipe probably isn't needed as the box collects all the heavier stuff, but I found using two pipes cut down drastically on the suction noise.
Suction provided by Lidl vac which is hidden away under the bench at the back and switched on and off by the saw.
This set up works well and I can tell a big difference by the way my throat and chest feels next day.

Attachments

• IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 695
Grahamshed":3kw2uiru said:
That looks impressive. How noisy is the combination ?

How long's a piece of string? I can easily hear my music without the neighbours having to listen as well, that's the main thing. I have to turn the volume up to listen to speech, but that's not surprising as I have hearing loss in that range.

My last set up had the suction below the table as it is now, but on top I had suction with a standard segmented blower pipe which had to be positioned pretty exact for best effect. Replacing the segmented one with the 35mm pipe cuts down on noise from the lower pipe and gets rid of a lot more fine dust as well. I still need to fit mesh over the end of the pipe to stop large offcuts disappearing up it - I had to rescue a 1"x1.25" piece out of the vac yesterday.

I'm going to try a smaller pipe and see if I can get it behind the blade instead of at the side, just to give me a bit more room, though that doesn't seem to be a problem yet, and the pipe easily swivels out of the way if need be.

Looks good Martin, better than the collection tube as (Hegner standard). I still use that and the end is in a very sorry state, coming into contact with the blade many times. :roll:

I don’t know why dedicated dust extraction tube/pie is so expensive, when standard waste pipe will do the same job, I use four inch/100mm, soil pipe as my main dust extraction manifold.
It was new and never used as a soil pipe. :mrgreen:

Take care.

Chris R.

Back