Record saw losing blade tension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My saw keeps losing blade tension. It isn't the blade slipping in the holders, it is the tension screw unscrewing its self. I have proven this by painting a white line on the knob with tippex so that I can see if it is moving (and it is!).

I had thought to try and put something on the knob to stop it turning but of course it is whizzing up and down.

This is driving me crazy as I have to re-tension my blade every couple of inches of cut.

Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Phill

Make sure there's no oil or grease got onto the tension rod thread. I can't remember if the thread is visible or if you need to partially dismantle the saw to get to it, but it should be an easy job if you are comfortable with taking things apart.

Plus one, as Martin and Brian said, make sure there is no oil/grease on the tension screw thread. :shock:

Take care.

Chris.

Sorry for late reply, I've been into town this morning which for us is a 90 minute ferry journey (not so bad on a bonny day like today).

I must be honest I had more or less thought the same about degreasing. I was forlornly hoping for an alternative magic wand solution as, looking at the saw, getting to the tension screw looks like a major strip down.

Regards

Phill

I've had the manual out now which include and exploded diagram of the saw and it looks to be as I feared. The body of the saw is in two halves with everything inside bearings etc set into each side. The only way to access the tension screw is to remove one of the sides which will involve removing the table and the base then there will be the fun of trying to realign everything when I come to refit the one half!

So I have come up with and admittedly Heath Robinson solution. It isn't elegant but it is doing the job for now. It will do until I have finished my current project giving me time to work on SWMBO with a view to upgrading to a 'proper' saw :D

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,150
If that rubber band is holding the tensioner still, I have to ask if you had enough tension on the thing initially.

I found with my old SiP that it would vibrate loose unless I gave it an extra turn beyond what I though was tight enough.

It is pinging nicely at that tension, which is about where I've had it till now.

I have been trying ever more tension, in an effort to get it to stay put, until I started snapping blades.

I reckon the real solution is a Hegner :) :) :)

I wish...

NazNomad":11qufowf said:
linkshouse":11qufowf said:
I reckon the real solution is a Hegner :) :) :)

... or even better, a Delta. :-D

Ha ha, I've been looking on eBay, as though there was a serious possibility of me buying one. There is an old Excalibur EX30 on there for £300 which seems reasonable, pity it is 500 miles and two ferries away!

With further use the rubber bands aren't working.

I've tightened the tension as tight as I dare without risking breaking something bigger than the blade, and just watching the saw running without cutting anything I can see the know turning as it unwinds!

So, tomorrow it is scheduled for a major strip down.

Phill

I think you might be able to loosen the bolts to the base and just remove the left hand cover. I don't trust my memory these days, but I'm fairly sure that's how I took one apart. It wasn't a Record but it was the same saw.

martinka":rt65ldu7 said:
I think you might be able to loosen the bolts to the base and just remove the left hand cover. I don't trust my memory these days, but I'm fairly sure that's how I took one apart. It wasn't a Record but it was the same saw.

Yes, that's more or less how it turned out.

saw.jpg

I found that the tension screw was covered in oil so I removed that and car it a good clean as per Brian's advice. I also fitted a star washer under the bottom pivot spigot in an attempt to stop it turning.

bottom.jpg

Major disappointment! Just got it all assembled and test and it is still unscrewing its self, slower but still no goo to work with. I was going to video it but then the video would be too large. Just running with the blade tensioned and no cutting I can see the tension knob turning. As per NazNomad's advice I tried ever more tension (even though I knew I was applying too much, but carried on increasing it until the blade pulled out of the bottom holder) and it still unscrewed.

So, I'm sat here playing computer, computer, for a bit before taking it all apart again. Though I'm not just sure what I'm going to do with it.

I might give Record a ring and see if they can offer any advice. Of course any guarantee is out the window now that I've had it in bits :(

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,088
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,088
My old SiP was the same generic saw and had a cam-lever tensioner. I'm sure I still have that part and am 99% sure it would fit your saw.

I'll check later and if I have it, it's yours to try.

Pic is a different saw, but you can see what I mean.

SM1302.jpg

The lever screws and unscrews the same as yours, but has the benefit of quick-release to change the blades without changing the tension setting.

It's a last resort remedy, but you could damage the threads slightly to tighten up the screw. Alternatively, some locktite or even epoxy on the threads, then clean it up until there's just enough left to stop the rod turning on its own. But hopefully Record will come up with a solution, like another tension rod, or even a replacement saw.

NazNomad":g901x4fr said:
My old SiP was the same generic saw and had a cam-lever tensioner. I'm sure I still have that part and am 99% sure it would fit your saw.

I'll check later and if I have it, it's yours to try.

That is very kind thank you. I may take you up on that offer if I don't get anything from Record.

This is the offending part/mechanism.

tensioner.jpg

Plan b, or is c, was to fit a spring as below.

spring.jpg

I've seen this arrangement used before to inhibit unscrewing.

But, alas, that didn't work either!

The top spigot that is threaded is a very loose thread. If this is wear it hasn't lasted long as I only got the saw in November.

I'm warming to Martin's suggestions regarding damaging the threads etc. as I think even if Record don't offer a replacement tensioner mechanism (new complete saw would be nice but a tad optimistic methinks), I think I need to order a replacement.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 796
  • spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 796
I found it ... it was in my ''keep it just in case'' 40ft truck body, which is filled with 'just in case' stuff. :lol: :lol:

tensioner.jpg

If you decide you want to try it, PM me your address and I'll throw it in the post.

NazNomad":12tev1d0 said:
I found it ... it was in my ''keep it just in case'' 40ft truck body, which is filled with 'just in case' stuff. :lol: :lol:

tensioner.jpg

If you decide you want to try it, PM me your address and I'll throw it in the post.

Thanks.

PM sent.

Regards

Phill

Back