Recipes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br5d

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any "special recipes" for anything? You know your special wax, boiled in oil tan improver, wood ager, restorer, miracle youth formula etc. ?
I'm always on the prowl for nuggets that other have found tried and true.....

A recipie on how to clean old unpainted wood and get rid of the "old barn" smell:

-Brush on 10% ammoniac with a paintbrusk.
-Let it sit for a minute or so and scrub with soapy water.
-Then rinse with water.
It worked well for me. The big pine cabitet that stands besides me became clean and smell free after having been used in a bakery to store work clothes and then spent 30 years in a cellar.

Boat soup. My standard finish for wooden things outside:
1/2 good quality pine tar
1/4 boiled linseed oil
1/4 turpentine

As a primer before the boat soup I may use:
3/4 raw linseed oil
1/4 factory made primer/preservative as poisonous as law allows.
This recipy stopped the rot in my wooden boat. I scraped it down to bare wood and soaked it liberally with this primer mixture and then put boat soup on top. The rot stopped growing immediately but the boat was ouily and sticky for 3 years afterwards.

Pine tar can also be mixed with ethanol to make it dissipate into the wood and not form a sticky skin.

Ethanol is also good for cleaning pine resin off the cutter head and te tables in my planer/thicknesser.

Never heard of pine tar so had a google
Apparently what we brits call stockholm tar ...... horsey folks use it
I'll be buying a tub today to experiment with.

Thanks =D>

I did not know that!

I went internet hunting for some stockholm tar
Was anyone else aware Screwfix sell a whole range of stuff (under rural supplies) to horse , pig, catle, chicken, goat owners.

lurker":8k6ib8fd said:
Was anyone else aware Screwfix sell a whole range of stuff (under rural supplies) to horse , pig, catle, chicken, goat owners.

I was, and none of it is in their catalogue.

Stockholm Tar is available in most ship's chandlers, owners of traditional, gaff rigged boats seem to slap it on everything including themselves.

Br5d,

Sorry :oops:
I appear to have caused your thread to wander

Assume you have seen the sticky at the top of the hand tools section?

recently tried melting some beeswax with pure tung oil 50/50, it works well.

When talking Stockholm tar...... interresting that you still use that name because a medieval royal grant gave the merchants of Stockholm a total monompoly on all exports and imports from and to the northern woodland regions up to the year 1765.
All tar had to be brought to Stockholm and then shipped by Stockholm merchants to the rest of Europe........ though many farmer-skippers sold their cargoes illegally elsewhere. Creating our age-old tradition of smuggling which is till very much alive and well. The first home built tar loaded ships sailed from Österbotten for the North Sea in 1767 and soon there was very little tar being transfered through Stockholm.

By the way Stockholm tar is a great thread locker for nuts and bolts in rust-prone places. For instance boat trailers and the undercarriage of any vehicle used on our salted roads. You just brush tar on the bolt and inside the nut and screw everything together.
Better than all commercial products.

lurker":6jq43gpx said:
I did not know that!

I went internet hunting for some stockholm tar

Yes!

BugBear (grew up on a farm)

What's sold today as Danish oil is usually some variation on an oil/varnish blend which you can easily make your own version(s) of. As I recently read it called on some blog somewhere, "oil from another country" :lol:

Two simple variations to make are one for warmer weather and a thinner one for colder weather.

Cold-weather version:
2 or 3 parts polyurethane varnish
1 part oil
3 parts white spirit

Warm-weather version:
1 part polyurethane varnish
1 part oil
1 part white spirit

I use boiled linseed oil for this type of thing, you can substitute tung oil it if you prefer it to BLO but it won't give you any benefit in the short term. And eventually the colour will end up the about the same as if you'd used linseed so you might as well get used to it now :)

DIY teak oil:
1 part alkyd or polyurethane or phenolic varnish
1 part raw linseed oil (don't substitute BLO)
3 or more parts white spirit
or
1 part spar varnish
3 or more parts white spirit

You blend in as much spirit as needed to get to the right watery consistency. This is an application where you may see a benefit to substituting tung oil for the raw linseed oil.

Bog-standard paste wax for rust prevention:
melted candle wax
white spirit

Approximately equal volumes of wax and spirit. You melt the wax, see what volume it makes up and pour in the same amount of spirits. The liquid will cloud when you pour in the cold spirit to the molten wax, stir and heat until it's clear again then decant into an airtight container and wait for it to solidify before use.

Best to use a double boiler for safety reasons when doing this, especially if you have gas rings.

Paste wax for wood finishing:
some combination of waxes
white spirit

Finishing wax is made in the same way as above but substitute some combination of harder waxes to make the finish more durable. Beeswax + 15-25% carnauba works well and has been used for generations. Many today are using versions of microcrystalline wax (with or without other waxes) which can be very hard and is often much cheaper than beeswax.

Standard mix is again 1:1 wax and white spirit. If you prefer a softer wax that's easier to apply don't use softer waxes, blend them with more white spirit. If you prefer a stiffer mix that has to be worked into the surface with harder rubbing use less white spirit.

Oil/wax finish for tool handles:
2 parts melted wax
2 parts walnut oil, raw linseed oil or sunflower oil
1 part white spirit

This gives a nice grippy feel to tool handles. I don't like this for anything else as it's not a durable finish and gets grubby far too easily. Plus it's just dull.

You can substitute turpentine for white spirit in any of the above if you prefer the smell, it makes zero difference to the result. Despite what some sources claim there is no synergistic effect because turps is from a natural source and not distilled from crude oil. Only the woodworker cares, the wood doesn't notice.

If you don't like the strong odour of turpentine or standard white spirit, or would like to make a finish that is slightly less hazardous to handle, you can use low-odour solvent or OMS in most of the above. But this may cause an issue with certain resins so you'll need to experiment with anything that has a varnish component.

ED65":30m3ubz5 said:
Bog-standard paste wax for rust prevention:
melted candle wax
white spirit

Approximately equal volumes of wax and spirit. You melt the wax, see what volume it makes up and pour in the same amount of spirits. The liquid will cloud when you pour in the cold spirit to the molten wax, stir and heat until it's clear again then decant into an airtight container and wait for it to solidify before use.

Best to use a double boiler for safety reasons when doing this, especially if you have gas rings.

Cheers Ed. I have a little of that Protec Wax polish left that I got as part of a joblot of finishes I got on here and it's great stuff but Sweet Baby Jesus it's pricey new. I'll give this a go. By double boiler do you mean a bain marie type affair? Pot in a pot?
Thanks again
Regards
Chris

Edit: Btw, not a recipe just a tip. Look at me giving tips out lol. Buy an old suede coat on ebay. Get a minimum £1 bid one that's not selling and you have a load of useful suede/leather. Free chamois, polishing/buffing cloths. Stropping gear , summat to put in your vice jaws, make your own tool roll if you are that way inclined, (disclaimer: dyed leather and damp and tools don't mix) ya de ya de ya. Loads of uses though. Just in case you never thought of it. (hammer)
Before you cut it up, wear it and stroll round the house spewing John Motson type commentaries on whatever your kids, spouse, neighbours etc are doing. Make sure you hold up a fake microphone and talk to your hand while doing it while looking at the non existent cameraman. They will love you for it. Believe me because I tried it.
To get you started:
'And Seaman, just like a falling oak, manages to change direction.'
:D

Back