Small Elm Bowls. C&C welcomed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I have turned a batch of small bowls today for a gallery that sells my work, I thought these two Elm ones had nice grain and a lovely warmth to their colour. They are about 5 inches wide and just have a coat of oil as a finish.
C&C welcomed.

Very rich looking finish johnny,always like the look of the redder Elm samples.

The local hedgerow stuff I've still got around is so much paler, the last time I had any samples with that red hue were a selection from a very old Welsh tree that Rich Burrow very generously gave me.

They are very very nice, just my kind of thing, simple in style to let the natural beauty of the material speak for itself! and the photography isn't bad either!
I'd like to be good enough one day to have a gallery that would sell stuff I make.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone :D

CHJ":3bgelkd7 said:
The local hedgerow stuff I've still got around is so much paler, the last time I had any samples with that red hue were a selection from a very old Welsh tree that Rich Burrow very generously gave me.

I think that may be the thing Chas, the smaller bits we can get now don't have the colouration, these were from a piece I got from a local sawmill,it was a slab from a big tree that they had had laying around in their store for years, a victim of the disease.

The colour does vary considerably, I wonder sometimes if it is to do with soil type or whether there are subtle species variations.

We had some very tall, (30mtr+), straight trunked trees growing on Worcestershire red loam and when a couple came down in a storm I remember those being sawn up as paler looking, as were all the Elm planks the local carpenter used for coffin making, we used to have the triangular off-cuts for 'make do and mend' around the farm, they looked more like dirty Ash but as hard as iron.

Lovely clean shapes.

As a newcomer, I'd be glad of a run through your process for the finish. Which oil? How many coats? Any thinning? How long to soak in before wiping off? Wire wool or sanding in between? Any tricks you've discovered through experience/experimenting?

I've read the tins, but they don't show the results. Having seen your results, I'd like to know what happened, please.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the comments 8)

PJ, I'll keep trying :p

Kim, so true. I remember as a kid we had a massive Elm at the entrance to my parents farm, it died of the disease and got cut down for firewood. It would have been a lifetimes supply of Elm for me!

HappyPixie":38jdxs43 said:
Lovely clean shapes.

As a newcomer, I'd be glad of a run through your process for the finish. Which oil? How many coats? Any thinning? How long to soak in before wiping off? Wire wool or sanding in between? Any tricks you've discovered through experience/experimenting?

I've read the tins, but they don't show the results. Having seen your results, I'd like to know what happened, please.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, these were oiled with, Chestnut's 'Food Safe Finish'. With oil it is very important(the most important bit) to start off with a very good sanded finish, any sanding lines or torn/bruised grain will show up, especially on light coloured woods. I usually sand down through 120,180,240 and 320, making sure each grit removes all the lines of the previous, it doesn't hurt after each grit to have a sand in the direction of the grain with the lathe off before moving to the next grade. Then I simply apply the oil and let it soak in for a bit and wipe off any excess. With the Elm here that was job done! You can wire wool/sand with fine grade paper and recoat and buff to more of a shine(buffing is probably a good idea) just experiment and see what works for you. HTH

I've set light to a few myself Johnny! Boy do I wish I'd hung on to a few logs now!

Back