photo data size.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renderer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the best data size for photos pasted on a facebook gallery?
Cant find this info anywhere. HELP.
Rend.

It depends a little on what you're wanting to do, but I'd aim for something between 400kb and 1mb. If its only to be viewed on facebook, any much bigger will be of little benefit and just takes longer to upload and to view.

Is that helpful?

Hello matey, Well aye and no I guess. I wish to display quality photos but also wish to display some quantity it s all a bit of a balancing act, maybe 30 pics of wood or thereabouts, to small a data size gives rubbish photos and to large to the problems you have mentioned and may restrict quantity. Its not my thing im a simple turner lol.

Rend.

renderer01":29hafr8r said:
Hello matey, Well aye and no I guess. I wish to display quality photos but also wish to display some quantity it s all a bit of a balancing act, maybe 30 pics of wood or thereabouts, to small a data size gives rubbish photos and to large to the problems you have mentioned and may restrict quantity. Its not my thing im a simple turner lol.

Rend.

I would target around 800x600 pixels (or vise versa) and around 80-85 Jpeg Quality (in Gimp terms).

This image is 600x400, and only 40K.

moseley.jpg

BugBear

Regarding limiting of download time and band width for viewers you could always arrange for clickable images of a much smaller footprint so that a viewer has the choice to download a better quality image if required.

Having said that if the image is only to be viewed on the average monitor there is little point in providing a high resolution uncompressed image.

As mentioned above a compressed .JPG image rendered at 80% in Gimp terms is often adequate.

I only ever bother to provide a 1024max pixel at 80% for web browsing and only rarely have I been asked for higher definition.

Hi:
I use a free program called Picture Resizer: http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
I don't know all the details of what it does to the file but it certainly makes it a LOT smaller without affecting the quality of the picture very much. As an example, the photo below was 2.87 mb as it came off the camera card and after using picture resizer the output file displayed here is only 21.8 kb. The picture still shows good detail and definition:

DSC00935-800.jpg

The neat thing about the program is that you don't have know anything about compression to make it work. Save the file you download to your desktop and it becomes a "drop target". When you want to resize a photo file you simply click on the file, hold the left mouse button down and drag it over the program icon and then release the mouse button. A new window pops up and you hit "Enter" and you are done. It creates a new file with a slightly different file name in the same directory the original photo file is, so you still have the original photo.

The file you download is called PhotoResize400.exe and it will resize photos from whatever they were originally to 400x300 pixels. That is pretty small on the computer screen so I don't use that one very often. If you want your output photo to be larger on the screen you just change the name of the program file. If you want your photo to become 640x480 pixels you change the file name to PhotoResize640.exe or if you want 800x600 photos you change the name to PhotoResize800.exe. I keep three copies of the file on my desktop to produce any of those three sizes of photos simply by choosing which icon to drop the picture file on. I had not tried using any numbers larger than 800 before, but I just renamed one of my icons to PhotoResizer1024.exe and dragged that same photo file on to it. It works fine and produced a photo at 1024x768 pixels that has a file size of 33.5 kb:

DSC00935-1024.jpg

It is an amazing program and it is free, without a bunch of junk adware attached to it that many free programs have. I have been using it for quite a few years now and like it very much.

Take care
Bob

P.S.: In my browser both of the photos show as the same size in the message. You need to click on them to display them full size.

Back