Lie-Nielsen Chisel Set For Sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just as the title suggests, I'm selling my Lie-Nielsen chisels.

The set consists of 5 chisels (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" & 3/4") and the Lie-Nielsen Leather Tool roll

The chisels have had a good home and are in very good condition, in fact the two smaller chisels have never even been honed as they came quite sharp straight from the factory and have not seen that much use.

21daa7f1.jpg

54a7cc86.jpg

I'll include the oak mounting thingy aswell as it'll be of no use to me in future.

Axminster sell this set for £224.74, so how does £175 including postage sound?

Cheers

Aled

I was just wondering the same thing. You're not making chisels as well now are you Aled?! :)

Ed / Rob

As I'm sure you both know, these chisels work and handle beautifully, but I've come to the conclusion that the characteristic of A2 steel that most people enjoy - i.e. great edge retention - doesn't really suit my way of working. I find that A2 takes a bit of work to hone to a really keen edge whereas my old Marples chisels (the 1" one can be seen to the left of the L-N chisels in the first pic) can be licked into shape in no time. Also the fact that I mainly work in oak, which is a relatively mild mannered hardwood, means that the edge retention of my old marples is more than sufficient.

Having said how much I enjoy using my Marples chisels, I dont have a comlete set - the 1/2" is missing, and the review of the new Ashley Iles chisels in this month's F&C really has me tempted. :roll: :roll:

Cheers

Aled

P.S. Ed, No I haven't yet ventured into making chisels, but I've just started making a shoulder plane - pics to follow.

Aled Dafis":1gma30au said:
Ed / Rob

As I'm sure you both know, these chisels work and handle beautifully, but I've come to the conclusion that the characteristic of A2 steel that most people enjoy - i.e. great edge retention - doesn't really suit my way of working. I find that A2 takes a bit of work to hone to a really keen edge whereas my old Marples chisels (the 1" one can be seen to the left of the L-N chisels in the first pic) can be licked into shape in no time. Also the fact that I mainly work in oak, which is a relatively mild mannered hardwood, means that the edge retention of my old marples is more than sufficient.

Having said how much I enjoy using my Marples chisels, I dont have a comlete set - the 1/2" is missing, and the review of the new Ashley Iles chisels in this month's F&C really has me tempted. :roll: :roll:

Cheers

Aled

P.S. Ed, No I haven't yet ventured into making chisels, but I've just started making a shoulder plane - pics to follow.

i agree the old steel is and always will be better imo

Shim

I'm not sure I agree that the old steel is always better, A2 really does have it's benefits when working with harder, more abrasive hardwoods.

Many many forum members really do enjoy working with the harder steel and find that the better edge retention is worth the (argued) extra work in honing.

Horses for courses i suppose.

Regards
Aled

Aled Dafis":1608c9k5 said:
Ed / Rob

Cheers

Aled

I had a very sneaky feeling that the new AIMkII chisels had caught your fancy, 'specially after MH in F&C tested them - Rob

Aled Dafis":38fvwakc said:
Shim

I'm not sure I agree that the old steel is always better, A2 really does have it's benefits when working with harder, more abrasive hardwoods.

Many many forum members really do enjoy working with the harder steel and find that the better edge retention is worth the (argued) extra work in honing.

Regards
Aled

I was reading David Savage's bit on tools on one of the CHT links (if you've not read it, it's well worth a 10min perusal) where he talks about A2 steel and the benefits of ordinary carbon steel blades. He doesn't like A2 but does concede that they are harder to sharpen. I pointed out to him that with the correct regime, A2 blades can be brought to a razor sharp edge...it's just going about it the correct way - Rob

woodbloke":4yo6i0id said:
He doesn't like A2 but does concede that they are harder to sharpen. I pointed out to him that with the correct regime, A2 blades can be brought to a razor sharp edge...it's just going about it the correct way - Rob

Well, this is probably more about linguistics and semantics than anything, but one might suggest that "needing an unusual regime" e.g. diamond abrasives is a pretty good definition of harder to sharpen.

BugBear

bugbear":1uz32p47 said:
woodbloke":1uz32p47 said:
He doesn't like A2 but does concede that they are harder to sharpen. I pointed out to him that with the correct regime, A2 blades can be brought to a razor sharp edge...it's just going about it the correct way - Rob

Well, this is probably more about linguistics and semantics than anything, but one might suggest that "needing an unusual regime" e.g. diamond abrasives is a pretty good definition of harder to sharpen.

BugBear

BB - I think you're probably right. He uses waterstones up to 8000g but can't seem to get the A2 as sharp as a carbon steel blade. As you know I use the DMT + Spyderco stones and don't have any problem, as my finger will attest to :shock: - Rob

Aled Dafis":2u1sfbge said:
Shim

Regards
Aled

But you haven't used the vintage 2" Marples I got from 'Oldtools'. The name stamped on the handle is 'Harmer' and he/she certainly knew how to treat a chisel.

A chisel of this size doesn't get a lot of use compared to the smaller ones of course, so it has a lot of steel left. The steel has a nice grey tone, and a smooth, 'buttery' feel. Honing is a snip, it's scary sharp and it holds an edge. It's among the best in my rack!
:D
Regards...
John :wink:

Latest posts

Back