Recent Plane Reviews....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, Alf. A well-deserved reward :).

And Rob, my most sincere applause to you and your company. Every time you raise your head here (and on the various US forums) Lee Valley rises in my estimation. Your commitment to customer service and determination to do 'the right thing' is amazing.

I already own a few of your products; I'll be buying a lot more.

Hi Rob

I applaud your generous offer. It is well deserved.

Hi Alf

Who is the c*ll*ct*r now? :wink:

OK, you certainly deserve them. Excellent reviews I've really enjoyed them.

Cheers
Neil

Sawdust Producer":2013ty6b said:
one thing thats been puzzling me is " why is there two brass screws on the top of the tote" I do know what one is for but why two?
SDP, there are two bolts right the way through the tote. Remind me and I'll get a shot of them with the tote removed.

I'm embarassed to say I genuinely don't know how many planes there are. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I think "too many" might be a safe estimate, but only as regards the likes of the #4s, #4.5s and possibly #5.5s. I can say with certainty that I only have one each of #3, 5, 6 and 7, and no 1, 2 or 8. Don't ask about the duplex rebates or the combination planes... :oops:

But I can stop any time I like. Yessir.

Cheers, Alf

SDP,

Finally got the Tuit. I thought I'd got the tote lined up behind correctly, but it's not quite right. :( My primary reason for removing it was to see if a user-made replacement was feasible, but there's not much leeway. I also discovered accurately boring two holes right the way through a potential alternative is a procedure ripe for error... :roll:

totefixing.jpg

BTW, on the bench planes one bolt goes up from the bottom instead, so it looks like there's only one.

Cheers, Alf

Those two bolts look like a great idea, one just isn't enough - even my LN's need tightening from time to time and the stress on tote, bolts etc. when things get loose must be quite great.

Alf":1pco2rcy said:
I also discovered accurately boring two holes right the way through a potential alternative is a procedure ripe for error... :roll:

If you want to drill deep holes, it's worth spending a bit of time balancing and sharpening your drill bits. Normally, only 1 cutting edge of the drill bit does the cutting, and this can cause it to go "off". Lathes are an improvement in getting deep holes?

Alf":1pco2rcy said:
Code:
[img]http://premium.uploadit.org/prenwyth/totefixing.jpg[/img]

BTW, on the bench planes one bolt goes up from the bottom instead, so it looks like there's only one.

Cheers, Alf
And prey, do tell us, what is the "neep neep" dovetailed box in the background?

Adam

Sawdust Producer":363yomqj said:
Thanks Alf,
I guess thats why the the tote is that shape, and the box in the background? New home for the low angle?

Hi -

Actually, we would have used a double bolt with any handle design - we did maximize the "spread" between the bolts once we'd settled on the handle shape....the bolts themselves were not a shape constraint.

Cheers -

Rob
(working on Canada Day!)

I think If I had the LV planes and a desire for a different tote, I would remove the existing tote and bolts - storing them carefully! - then make a tote I liked, split it down the middle and then rout out a couple of curved grooves for threaded rods which I would bend forward to the necessary angle, then glue the split tote around them.

As it stands, the present tote looks far too upright for my taste. I reckon Leonard B. got it about right.

asleitch":xoorasqi said:

Adam

Exactly the question I was about to ask :?

Cheers

Tony

asleitch":1lxni4qr said:
That old thing? :roll: Just foolin' around with the 'Rat and decided to make an over-the-top mini toolchest sort of thing, with a raised panel in the lid. Got the Stanley (USA) #50 in there at the moment.

Rob Lee":1lxni4qr said:
the bolts themselves were not a shape constraint
They are now... :wink: They do make for a very firm fixing though, I must say. They need to be; that's a heavy tool. :shock: And the bullnose, Rob! Wowsers. You certainly do believe in bigger, wider, taller, longer don't ya? :lol:

Chris, interesting idea. I wonder... I'm afraid I found myself speculatively fingering a rasp and gazing at the original. :oops: Forgive me, Mr Lee. I will give it a fair go first. :)

Cheers, Alf

Back