Electromagnet Bench Attachment A-Level Idea - NEED OPINIONS!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug_Hill1":1yoywno8 said:
I am currently thinking of creating a mechanism in which you can mount an electromagnet into your bench which will act as a removable tool station
Many people would simply build a slot/dock into their workbench and bolt each small machine to a removable plate made of wood, metal, corian, or similar. The plates simply slot into the bench dock and lock in place, bringing the machines with them, with a blank one for empty use of the bench surface. A simple (but secure) locking mechanism would likely take more force than the magnet and wouldn't need power or anything complicated.

I imagine there's already a commercial version of this in some form, but could be worth a look and maybe try that if there isn't one?

Recognising the issue about the danger should power be lost to the EM device, I'd suggest you could pursue an evolution of the design addressing that risk, by making the EM activate / deactivate a locking pin arrangement that once activated, is passive. i.e. push/pull a locking pin into place. that way, the safety isn't compromised by lack of power (just unable to change between locked and unlocked).

Showing an evolution of a design concept to cope with problems is probably part of the journey you will need to take.

You may also want to show a search of patents first, to see what has been done. Creating a (hypothetical) product that actually is in breach of a patent, wouldn't not be a good idea - so I imagine that is the start of the process.

Back