Taking a plunge to kitchen cabinet making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mfc is spectacular these days, I can get effects such as concrete, corten steel, copper, aged copper, antique brass, polished plaster, pressed aluminium, Marble, leathered stone, flaked stone, slate the effects are endless. These are not cheap products. As above at £220 a sheet it's about 3.5 times walnut veneers and 5 times oak veneers.

Very interesting. MFC does appear have moved on.

Quick question to you bob if I may? Where do you source your egger boards from? You’re quite close to me and I might give them a call.

Just so no one calls bullshite

2b1OvA0.jpg

tOlxgc4.jpg

JwF8qBm.jpg

Looks even better when un wrapped, lots of deep knots and distressed areas

MFC is like Skoda - it was rubbish in the past so can never be better today :roll:

A case of actual quality and perception getting mixed up?

I do find it odd that plywood kitchen units are seen as being high quality in comparison to MFC or MDF kitchen units - why not just make them out of real wood like oak, elm or walnut, because surely real wood is even more high quality and superior to plywood? #-o

doctor Bob":2gxxvfx2 said:
......I'd even make them out of Rhinocerous scrotums if the customer wanted it and I could source it........

:) Rhinos have internal testicles, therefore rhino scrotum is as rare as rocking horse droppings........ :D

no idea":29zn7ldv said:
MFC is like Skoda - it was rubbish in the past so can never be better today :roll:

I do find it odd that plywood kitchen units are seen as being high quality in comparison to MFC or MDF kitchen units - why not just make them out of real wood like oak, elm or walnut, because surely real wood is even more high quality and superior to plywood? #-o

My gripe with MFC in the past is not the facings but the chipboard core. Over time water gets in and the chipboard swells causing havoc. Are the latest ones using a waterproof chipboard?

no idea":18ikqpd4 said:

Not sure why you find it odd - surely if you surveyed people, most would rate plywood as a higher quality material than chipboard.

Beau":1z126yqj said:
My gripe with MFC in the past is not the facings but the chipboard core. Over time water gets in and the chipboard swells causing havoc. Are the latest ones using a waterproof chipboard?

In a kitchen or utility, water can only come from a sink unit, I put drip catchers into my sink units. If water gets on ply it will blow as well you know. If the leak is bigger than a drip catcher can handle well your pineapple!!d anyway whatever the material.
If it comes from a dishwasher or washing machine it will go on the floor and ruin your plinths or skirt.

MikeG.":6nzxux69 said:
:) Rhinos have internal testicles, therefore rhino scrotum is as rare as rocking horse droppings........ :D

Mr G, font of all knowledge, reading trivia whilst waiting to bat?

Elephant testes are up by their kidneys, so their sperm has a 5 foot journey. No wonder they make such noise when they mate!!

doctor Bob":a0tyh2ti said:
Beau":a0tyh2ti said:

In a kitchen or utility, water can only come from a sink unit, I put drip catchers into my sink units. If water gets on ply it will blow as well you know. If the leak is bigger than a drip catcher can handle well your pineapple!!d anyway whatever the material.
If it comes from a dishwasher or washing machine it will go on the floor and ruin your plinths or skirt.
I take your points but birch ply does not really blow like chip. Also some houses are just wet with condensation on exterior walls. Striped out a kitchen recently and the units had blown and there was no obvious explantation beyond condensation. Ply will expand if wetted but once the problem is sorted will shrink again. For most I dont think it matters as most folk I meet change kitchens remarkably often but I am hoping ours will do 20+ years. Time will tell.

Your kitchens look lovely by the way

I've been having a read through all this discussion of materials. I can't see a problem with anything if it's finished properly.
Personally, I use birch ply almost exclusively, but MFC is fine and I've used it when asked for.
The birch ply is lacquered and I've never had a customer who wasn't impressed by the look and feel of it.
I've not tried pocket screwing. Biscuiting is my preferred technique and when held with screws while the glue sets gives an incredibly strong construction.
If the op hasn't got a biscuiter I'd advise to go get one as the cost will be instantly lost in the speed and convenience of assembling the carcasses.

About six years ago I made up some units for a mate who was setting up a spray finishing workshop in an old farm building. He'd partitioned off a small area to use as a kitchen. I made him 4 base units from 18mm Medite MR MDF, butt jointed and simply screwed together. The doors were just plain slabs of the same MDF with edge tape glued on. Pinned on a 6mm MDF back, plonked on an offcut of worktop and left him to it. He sprayed up the units, fitted a sink and got on with life.

I happened to be back in his workshop a few days ago and the kitchen looked as good as new. He told me that the plumbing under the sink had leaked a year or so ago and flooded the area but the units were fine.

I'm not too sure how this tale adds to the conversation other than to say that in this case the finish was more important than the substrate in as much as the protection it afforded when the leak happened. As the good Doc Bob says if you get more than a dribble on most surfaces it's game over whatever the material, unless it has about 8 coats of sprayed lacquer or whatever he used on my units.

Back