Help identifying a dado rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegac

Reaction score
Hi all....My mum has had this radiator installed recently and sod's law the fixings came dead centre with the dado.

The fitter had a go with a hole saw as shown in the picture, but i'm not happy with the fit or finish.

I want to replace the dado and get it reworked around the radiator fixings.

Problem is I can't find the same type of dado design, had a look on google images and nothing similar comes up.

I wondered if anyone knows if this has a name, design type or anything to help me identify it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 20.12.10.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 20.12.10.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 187
Looks more like picture rail,You can take a piece to a local joiner and see if they have a profile cutter and could run a bit out for you.

Thank you, I wouldn't know where to start to find someone skilled round where I am to be honest, does it not look like something off the shelf? In fairness the building I think is over 100yrs old which probably doesn't help.

More often than not these styles of moulding are individually unique, mostly down to the fact that they were either hand planed to shape if they're really old or it would've been whatever style of moulder cutter the joiner was using at the time (which were hand ground and not a standard shape).

Your best bet might be to do as Les says and take a piece of the moulding to a local joiner and see if they have a cutter that matches. But this will get expensive if they don't have that particular moulding cutter and they have no grinding expertise as they may have to get the cutters made up (There are very few joiners left that grind their own cutters) which would be around £50-75 plus the time it would take to either draw out the moulding with measurements or send off a piece of the moulding, Plus then there is the labour and materials. So don't be surprised if this single length piece of moulding costs more than £100.

Thanks Trevanion, very interesting and much appreciated. Pretty gutted really, it's my mum's place and has really spoilt the job. I'm wondering whether I can fill it somehow, another forum mentioned plaster of paris, so I wonder whether it's worth spending some time playing around with that and see if I can't make it look perfect if I can at least make it look a little bit "less bad"

looks like a job for some hollow and round planes. then sell them on afterwards if you have no further use for them.

Looks similar to the rad I have just fitted. I think the wall mounts are separate pieces held with grub screws to the rad? If they are the same as mine, you can cut the wall mount pieces short, pulling them away from the wall. If you make a couple of neat plinths to fit over the existing dado and paint them white it would look much nicer.

Thanks Mr Rusty, you are correct...I popped over today to have a look and there is indeed a small grub screw underneath. I'll loosen them off tomorrow and see if I can do that.

you'll prob have to loosen the base mountings to get some wiggle room, and when I cut my top mountings short on one of these rads some time ago (to get it to sit closer to the wall) I seem to remember I used an angle grinder because the chrome plate is hard.

Just as a easy solution you could squirt some Pu foam in the holes. Allow to dry the parents back to leave 5 mm to fill. Mix up tx110 toupret filler. Pop in and roughly smooth( make sure its sticking out a bit.) Leave 2 hrs or so and level using a bit of wood or a 6 inch plastic rule. Keep working it as it sets up. Finally a smoothing fine surface filler and a light sand.prime. gloss. Etc.

Thanks Johnny...I don’t think the foam will work as it is such a small gap to fill. I hadn’t heard of the toupret filler, I’m picking up some deep gap polyfilla, is the toupret a better product?

I really can't believe you are thinking about filler. This is such an easy job. Take out the two top mountings. Cut them short. Re attach them so the base plate is now away from the wall and outside the dado. Cut two round plinths for the mount plate to sit on, painted white. place into the cutouts. Job jobbied.

Trying to smooth filler around the mounts is always going to look like a bodge job.

Thanks Mr R, just exploring options at the moment. Gave it a go with some filler yesterday and it didn’t look terrible, I’m just seeing if the simplest option (for me) works first.

I’d have to get someone in to do your Plan B, as the radiator would need to come off and then I’d have to get someone to angle grind the mounts as it’s not something I’d do myself.

Back