Motor upgrade for Draper lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirso

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Draper WTL90 lathe with a. 37kw 240v single phase motor.
The motor seems somewhat lacking in power. So I was thinking of either getting a larger single phase motor or going to a 3 phase motor and vfd unit.
I wondered if any one else had upgraded a Draper, and if so what was the motor they fitted?
I dont know physically what size you could fit without having to make major changes to the motor mounts. But I think the Inverter way would give easier and better options for speed selection.
Thanks

Unless there is a fault with the motor, I would suggest there is no need to replace it. If it has problems starting a new capacitor is under £10.
I had both a WLT90 & the smaller Draper 250w (1/3 HP) mini lathe. The only thing the mini lathe was under powered for was drilling into end grain with a 32mm Forstner bit.
I think the manual is still avaiable to download from Draper. If not PM me your email address & I'll send you a copy.
A days tuition with a professional will sort out the orientation of the tools for cuts on different grain directions & how to get your tools really sharp. Once you have learnt those, then it's just practice.

I personally think a 1/2HP motor is a suitable match for that design of lathe, if you are regularly suffering from insufficient power then I suspect you are attempting turning outside the general capability of the machine or tooling selection or technique may not be optimum.

(I had an axminster equivalent for 2 years when I first started and been known to Tackle larger pieces)

Nothing like lower power drive systems to finesse tool sharpening and technique.

Getting a bigger HP motor to take the Reeves Drive pulleys is going to be almost impossible and changing the motor and drive pulley I suspect would cost as much as the machine is worth.
Don't think the lathe bearings and general construction would have a lot of life if subjected to consuming the power of a larger motor.

It's not only the cutting forces you need to consider but the strength of support components etc. when you have a catch or other mishap.

Thanks for the replies.
Your both right . I think I am rushing things a bit.
I need to use what I have a bit more and learn to fully utilise what I have in both gear and knowledge. The latter being the limiting factor.
I will be visiting a local pro turner and so hope to pick up a lot of knowledge along the way.
Its the learn to walk before trying to run syndrome.
Thanks

I had looked at the club at Finningley already. But found there is one run in Thorne itself. So will be going there.

When do you perceive it as lacking power? There might be some pointers this community can give straight off. I've turned 12 to 14 inch faceplate stuff on my little coronet major without issue, but I have to be aware of depth of cut at times.

Thanks for replies.
As rightly said earlier. The issue is not so bad now after a year of learning. The sharp tools and not trying too hard helps :)
I will look at upgrading the lathe at a later date. Not for an increase in power as such, more for the speed control from an electronic speed adjustment. I still have a bad habit of stopping the lathe when its on high speed and then wanting to restart on a much lower speed.

Due to health issues, the club at Thorne has folded. But I continue to learn as I go along. I am still loving being at the lathe and have found a great interest in the finishing of the pieces that was sadly lacking at the start of my learning.

Back