Packing saws for posting.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Shortly I hope to be offering a few tenon saws for sale, probably requiring posting.
My thoughts are, that with a wooden blade guard to cover the teeth, and the steel/brass spline, there should be little need for more than a padded envelope as packaging.
For a 26 inch rip saw, 2 teeth guards, one acting as a spline, would be enough?
Your thoughts please.

Bod

Don't underestimate the power of stupidity and poor handling in transit. A pair of long thin pieces of wood won't add much to the overall weight but will stop the blade from being bent in half before it arrives.

If it had any value I would securely tape it to a piece of 12 mm ply that was bigger then the entire saw. If it will "almost" fit into a letter slot, someone will surely try to make it fit.

I went through a phase of buying tools off our favourite interweb auction site a couple of years ago, and that included several saws.

I once had a backsaw delivered in a padded envelope; the blade was bent. I don't know whether it was bent before despatch, but it looked OK in the photos (NB - not always an infallible guide!).

The best packaged one was in a custom-made thick corrugated cardboard box, about 2" thick, inside which the saw was wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap. The box was very well sealed with parcel tape. Excellent packaging.

I have bought separately two saws in the past three weeks. A 22" and a 24" traditional saw. You can imagine the approximate size, volume and shape. I would venture to suggest that this is not the best way to package them. This is not an exaggeration. Both arrived individually packaged in a cardboard box 30" x 24" x 6". The box was tightly padded with brown paper and at the very bottom with no paper underneath it was the saw right up against the cardboard box.
1) The saws were almost unprotected from damage despite the extreme size of the box.
2) What a profligate waste of packaging material.
Surely it's not beyond the wit of professional suppliers to come up with a sturdy design specifically for the safe transit of a saw-shaped article such as - a saw! Maybe it is. Think I'll open another bottle.

Thanks for that, I've been dubious of just cardboard boxes.
I've just got a lengh of "king span" type insulation board, very ridged, and lightweight, that I'm going to try as packaging.
Now to advertise what I've to sell.

Bod

that's a good idea - I have to say that all of the several (!) used hand and tenon saws I have had delivered over the years have arrived unscathed despite a couple of them simply being wrapped in stiff cardboard.

The best packaging by far was done with two pairs of wooden splines, one along the toothline and the other at the top of the saw. Sandwiched between the spline on each side were two pieces of foam. Perhaps a bit OTT but I appreciated the effort!

I'd be more than happy if someone took the time to cut to fit a couple of pieces of stiff insulation which I think would do the job just as well.

Back