Painted bowl. "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece is turned from Beech 200mm x 80mm sanded to 600 grit and 8 coats of Acrylic paint applied.

DSC01411.jpg

11.jpg

1-1.jpg

111-1.jpg

George, that's looking great.
Dremel work I suppose.
I love the black acrylic lacquer, very shiny.
A top class piece of work.
Very very well done.
Ad

Fantastic finish George, like the idea. I think I spy a flat on the lower, inner curve. Might just be the camera angle.

I love the way this bowl is almost becoming something else. Almost un-bowl like!

George, did you use this type of wood becuase you knew it's grain would be sacrificial to the finished piece? or was your choice of wood incidental?

Can I ask a related question, where do you keep your finished pieces, personally I would put them in my home, as they are very attractive.

Another inspirational piece for me G.

hello Lee.
The wood i used is Beech because that is what i had.
Some of my stuff goes to galleries for sale and i have a gallery at home where i keep a lot of what i make.

Regards George

Good finish George, no room for blemishes to hide.
Not so sure on the form of the wings myself, I accept that there was a deliberate move to give an asymmetrical form but to me the two wings look similar enough to look imbalanced, but that's possibly just me not being adventurous in perceptions.

Perhaps more of a Ying-Yang, but then again that may look too heavy.
111-1[1].jpg

I like it George :D
Finish looks excellent,unusual shape but the piccy looking down on it reminds me of one of those piccys you see from space of a big hurricane.
Also a good way to use a piece that develops splits in it's drying stage :D

Very nice piece there George, well done on cutting it so smoothly, one false move and :shock: :shock: lovely shape too.
Steve

George, I think you are misreading some of the comments, perhaps it's our middle earth method of expressing things.

George Foweraker":21lha23f said:
Hi Chas the two cut outs were done free hand and were not meant to match each other.
That Is how I perceived them.
CHJ":21lha23f said:
.... I accept that there was a deliberate move to give an asymmetrical form ..

And I'm sure Paul was intending the following in the light of how we lesser mortals could salvage a damaged piece, not that you had masked such yourself.
Paul.J":21lha23f said:
Also a good way to use a piece that develops splits in it's drying stage..
Which elicited this response:
George Foweraker":21lha23f said:
There were no splits i intended to do this with it.

I assure you I was not casting aspersions on your work and I doubt Paul was either.

Hi George

Nice development of the bowl form. The black I like a lot as it shows only the form of a piece.

It is fun to play around with pieces like this and to change the cut out shapes to see what different feel can be given to the bowl.

If the curves/lines are too close to each others shape but not the same it can give a different feel that if one of the cut outs is totally different.

The contrast of the two differing lines/cut outs can add a contrast to form as opposed to us only thinking about contrast with colour.

I note that people may think that this was made from a cracked bowl.

(I understand that this one was not, but this was exactly how my black bowl
came about.)

You know the story so I hope you don't mind me repeating it.

I had turned a beautiful olive ash bowl which cracked. It was in my view a beautiful form and I could not bring myself to throw it away.

So it sat on the shelf for a good year.

Then one day an idea came to me involving a cut out. I produced it and it has since been developed into more works.

What I am trying to get across is that keeping damaged forms (unless they are really far gone) can be used as an opportunity to try out new ideas and techniques, after all the item probably can't be made any worse if it is already damaged.

I have an example that I will post later showing a work in progress of such an item.

It has been posted before on other forums but I do not think on this one.

Latest posts

Back