Painted bowl. "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi George
I like the overall appearance but a couple of things that jump out at me-

In photo 2 there appears to be a slight deviation on the underside of the furthest curve. I'm inclined to think that it's actually there rather than a trick of the camera as it's also visible in photo 3.

In photo 3 the lower edge on the cutout looks like it isn't uniform. Where it's level with the top of the rear cutout it looks as though there's a slight raised area. You can just about see it in photo 2 as well.

In photo 2 there appears to be a blemish in the paint/surface - follow the direction of the rear cutout. It could just be that there was a bit of dust when you took the photo. There also appears to be a mark on the surface in the last photo - just above where the lower cut out starts on the left.

I know these comments may be a little picky (ok, maybe a lot!), but the first 2 come from experience yesterday when I was going some cut-outs of my own. If you don't get the resulting cut face at a consistent angle to the turned surfaces it's really obvious. Also time consuming to get right!

The problem with completely painted surfaces is that there's no grain to distract the eye away from any imperfections.

Hope you don't mind the comments - they are intended to be constructive despite how they may come across.

Duncan

Mark Sanger wrote
I note that people may think that this was made from a cracked bowl.
I was not in any way suggesting that Georges piece was split to start with,just pointing out to others such as myself for instance who have had bowls etc split in the drying stages,and that what George has produced is a good way of still using that particular piece.If you have the imagination to do so,which i think a lot of us struggle with and it's great to see pieces like this.

Paul.J":15cr894g said:
Mark Sanger wrote
I note that people may think that this was made from a cracked bowl.
I was not in any way suggesting that Georges piece was split to start with,just pointing out to others such as myself for instance who have had bowls etc split in the drying stages,and that what George has produced is a good way of still using that particular piece.If you have the imagination to do so,which i think a lot of us struggle with and it's great to see pieces like this.

Hi Paul

No don;t worry mate. I in no way thought that you were. Don't get me wrong. It is the problem with the written word that you can not hear my voice and gauge the tone.

I never get, any more upset by any comments as we all have our ideas and views.

The important thing for me to is to accept what people say and accept that this is part of the rich tapestry in progressing.

We will as creators of work " Never" make every one happy with what we do. There are so many different tastes and likes.

It would be a damn boring place if our homes were filled with exactly the same stuff.

As creators and at times when we push our own boundaries and ideas we have to take on board that this will possibly challenge other peoples perspective of what we are doing.

No artist/sculptor through history who has pushed the boundaries has ever had an easy ride. In fact the opposite is normally the case.

By producing different works that challenge is very beneficial as it gets people to think about what is being made and how it is perceived within their own and others thought processes.

It is human nature to find the negative in everything. ( I am not saying you are doing this). It is easier for the mind to find what is perceived as a negative instead of a positive especially when what is being looked at is outside of their normal taste or idea of how they would do it.

There are parts of Georges bowl that I would do differently. Not because what he has done is not right within what he intended to do.

What he has done in my view is taken a bowl and developed it differently to what we normally accept as a bowl. This is a great step to take as it moves us often into a place that is not safe. That challenges even our own ideas.

I know that I had a great deal of anxiety doing this initially as I was worried that I was going to be lambasted by other makers.

Now I realise that it is a free and wonderful place to be. To allow our creative mind just to run wild without concern of what is said is a far richer place for me to be than to stay where I was.

Again I have waffled :lol:

And please do not ever feel you should not express what you are thinking. You have shown that you are willing to experiment with ideas and that you like to understand how people go about their work.

Questioning others work helps us to develop our own understanding and work/ideas.

Back