Oak dovetailed box with pin hinge lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I had this in mind for the box challenge, but circumstances mean my workshop is mostly packed up and I'm working out of storage boxes at the moment. Long story.

9172976223_048db2a1e0.jpg

9175204700_5426c443aa.jpg

9175190330_e80cd08c96.jpg

The wood was from an old victorian wardrobe we got at the local auctions a couple of years ago for £10. Once we were done with it I decided to reuse the wood rather than scrap it.

The base is made of from a piece of the trim at the bottom of the wardrobe. Looked a bit rough at first, but book matched it and it came out quite nicely. Makes a plain box a bit more interesting when opened. (just realised you cant see it in the photos, I'll take some more).

The handle is some offcut from my bag of "exotic off cut bits and bobs" that I have gathered. Not sure what it is.

I struggled for ages to decide on a finish and have been testing loads of different ones on some more offcuts of the oak. Decided in the end on a few thin coats of shellac then some of my homemade beeswax polish, knocked back (quite aggressively) with some 0000 steel wool.

All of the edges got 7 swipes from my block plane then sanded to a radius.

Overall quite please. Managed to drill the hinge holes much more accurately on this one with the pillar drill at work and a lip and spur bit.

Lessons learnt: Use a wax with carnauba wax in future. The beeswax polish seems to get quite soft in warm conditions and can get fingerprints in it. Much less so since knocking it back hard, but would rather something harder.

Remove scribe lines fully before finishing. missed a couple and it spoils the look.

Lovely looking box Mick, any hints on the best way to drill the hinge holes in the lid?
I take it you haven't had any problems with oak and wire wool from previous projects - I've had some with turning but I'm guessing it is easier to embed some steel with a rotating workpiece.

I made a similar design box in elm with mitred corners which has sat around unfinished as the lid handle isn't centred, but having seen you box I think I might drag it out and finish it as your's looks brilliant.

Glynne

I like that a lot - and I'm glad you decided on a suitable finish. I also thoroughly approve with salvaging wood from old furniture!

How did you fix the base in place - is it set in a groove?

Cheers Andy and thanks for your input on the finishes. I took some photos of the sample finishes I did but the camera didn't really show them up well enough.

I need to take some better photos of the box in better light.

Yes, the base is just shy of 5mm thick, I put a small rebate on it and set it in a stopped groove made on the router table.

I'll take some more photos tonight.

Thanks Glynne!

I ripped some scrap to width and put in inside the box so the lid sat at the same height all the way round. It was actually the same width as the cut out where the handle sits.

I clamped the lid in place and very carefully marked the location for the holes with a very fine line. When on the pillar drill using a lip and spur bit it was easy enough to line these all up and drill the holes. I used the depth stop and cut the brass rod pins to a hair under this length.

Three coats of shellac seal the box very well and I only use a webrax pad at that stage. I used the wirewool to knock the wax back. I havent had any issues to date doing it this way.

Well I think the box is great. A touch of the sixties simplicity about it and made in salvaged wood which to me is a story in itself. I have been thinking about a similar way of doing handles and have been thinking about a suitable coloured perspex or leather but not decided. You can tire of cardboard boxes or even worse now plastic boxes. Best wishes.

Cheers chaps

I take the 60s simplicity as a great compliment. Simple understated thngs made well is what I'm aiming for at the moment. I have hopes of adding curves and shapes to the things I make, but I'm thoroughly enjoying making these sort of things at the moment.

Back