new chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carlb40":cjtwjmfl said:
Jacob":cjtwjmfl said:
Vann":cjtwjmfl said:
.........No but they own the specification QS work to (I assume - or else the tools would be the same at say Rutlands QS planes)
I don't believe this rumour of different specs from different sellers.
Not a rumour. You only have to look and compare to see the differences.
Workshop heaven have bronze lever caps etc, rutlands chrome, and woodriver (usa versions) chrome plus the block planes have knuckle lever caps ala stanley sweetheart planes.

Something i wish our uk sellers would stock is the QS shoulder plane :)
Had a quick look - Rutlands and WH seem to be selling different versions of QS planes altogether. Not just a different spec of same plane. Rutlands far cheaper, but not the same plane so comparison is not simple.

PS checked again - I must have been looking at the wrong planes. They are the same but no4 bedrock frinstance is £30 cheaper at Rutlands. Just marketing exercises and an uncritical fan base!

Its not a rumour I do have students that have bought QS planes into my workshop that are of a lower quality than mine, I am personally on my third no 6. The first had a fairly poor bent steel lateral adjustment lever, the next had that improved but the handle was still too far back from the frog to adjust on the fly, my latest version has all those points corrected.
When I was at Harrogate before Christmas I was talking to a visitor who was moaning about the poor quality of his QS block plane, whist I demonstrated the quality of mine (still not as good as a Veritas I must add) he bought his at the show the previous year for 2/3 the price of mine ( if you buy cheap you get cheap).
The scary thing for the rest of the manufactures out there is QS have taken on board negative comments and improve their quality with new versions, I would suggest some retailers are selling older versions either for profit reasons or because they are not woodworkers and can not see the benefit in quality.
I have know interest in who is selling cheaper versions, I would rather focus my time on selling quality ones.

Cheers Peter

Manufacturing the same product to different quality specs for different customers is common practice. Lada and Airbus most likely both use 25mm washers, potentially from the same source. But the car maker would be wasting money if they requested the same quality control on materials and finished component as the aero manufacturer.

and all i have is some qs blades and:cap irons: in my old but great marples planes and thats all i need i think sometimes we forget what we can do with some great old planes even the woden no 7 i am selling .
sometimes all we need do in hone it set it and push it . i wish if it was only that simple but i do think that sometimes
people overcomplicate things.
lurcher

Peter Sefton":246s14cs said:
Its not a rumour I do have students that have bought QS planes into my workshop that are of a lower quality than mine, I am personally on my third no 6. The first had a fairly poor bent steel lateral adjustment lever, the next had that improved but the handle was still too far back from the frog to adjust on the fly, my latest version has all those points corrected.
When I was at Harrogate before Christmas I was talking to a visitor who was moaning about the poor quality of his QS block plane, whist I demonstrated the quality of mine (still not as good as a Veritas I must add) he bought his at the show the previous year for 2/3 the price of mine ( if you buy cheap you get cheap).
The scary thing for the rest of the manufactures out there is QS have taken on board negative comments and improve their quality with new versions, I would suggest some retailers are selling older versions either for profit reasons or because they are not woodworkers and can not see the benefit in quality.
I have know interest in who is selling cheaper versions, I would rather focus my time on selling quality ones.

Cheers Peter
The first QS plane I bought was from WH. It was faulty. Matthew was very good about replacing parts (yoke) it has to be said but he didn't seem to be getting a special deal in spite of the higher price.

Peter, it was the QS plane you were doing the "3 marker pen trick" on the edge of the timber wasn't it?
That plane was pretty damd good in my opinion !

I'm sure peter will explain it better but... 3 different coloured lines on the edge of a board about 1" thick one in the middle and one on each side, with the I think was a convex grind on the iron peter could plane off each colour pen without disturbing the other lines, if you know what I mean?
Was very, very impressive plane control !!

Back