More Flawed Hawthorn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
This time it's been flawed deliberately.

I got another small wonderful lump of hawthorn of an abourist pal the other day. The trunk had grown with a distinctly heart-shaped cross section and knowing I liked odd looking lumps of wood she put it aside for me then promptly forgot about it. So by the time I eventually got it the ends were already cracked a good inch deep despite her belatedly painting it to try and prevent it cracking any further and it gave me a bit of an idea.

Seeing as it's only about 6" long anyway why not go along with the "broken hearted" theme and see exactly how bad I can break it? haha
This is where we're starting from...
Img_0245.jpg

Img_0246.jpg

It's already been in a centrally heated environment for the best part of a month but I'm about to up the ante and sit it on top of the radiator. :)

The general idea is that once it's stable I'll fill the cracks/glue it back together with blood red casting resin (what else), cut it into slices, maybe scroll saw some painfully cliche'd blurb about being broken hearted on em, and see what I get. It may not be subtle but it makes me smile wondering how corny I can get it. :)

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0245.jpg
    Img_0245.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Img_0246.jpg
    Img_0246.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,358
I've been holding a caption competition of face book, these are the entries so far:-

You crack me up
Don't worry, I hugged it first!
"One careful owner"
Broken but still lovable.
your are the tree on which i lean
fragile heart handle with care
Our Love will grow
mend my heart

:)

Hi Col
you could use it for divorces as well "you broke my heart, you puppy"
I'll get my coat....
Regards
Brendan

Claymore":24kfhwy6 said:
Why don't you go the whole hog and make a musical box with it that plays Wooden Heart..... if ya like a bit of Don Williams "Some broken hearts never mend" lol
Think that sea air is getting to ya Colin 9-)
Oh they're both great suggestions. That don williams one in particular has been a firm favourite of mine for decades!

Walney Col":1m4uiu41 said:
This time it's been flawed deliberately.

That's a good creative idea. It's also a wonderful demonstration of how important proper seasoning
is - by demonstrating the alternative!

BugBear

They're coming along nicely. Moisture content is currently around 18% (down from 34% a couple of days ago). They need to drop to around 10% before I can start cutting.
Img_0248.jpg

Attachments

• Img_0248.jpg
    Img_0248.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,167
Three days of forced drying on the radiator has left the pieces with a moisture content of zero and cracks you could drive a bus through.

Img_0250.jpg

Img_0251.jpg

Img_0252.jpg

Next job is to see if I can flatten them a bit. I'm hoping to get 5 or 6mm thick out of most of them but I've one in particular (second photo) that I should be able to flatten to nearer 25mm and maybe mount a music box mechanism in the back.

The resin was el-cheapo "water clear casting resin" bought off ebay and the "inca gold metal flake" (also ebay) I decided to go with instead of a solid red pigment was a beggar to use (i.e. I'm now wearing sparkly clothes haha) but it looks downright charming suspended in the resin.

More to come as and when I get them flattened.

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0250.jpg
    Img_0250.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Img_0251.jpg
    Img_0251.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Img_0252.jpg
    Img_0252.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,108
After a couple of weeks of pretty intense weather I finally got out to the shed today to flatten my bits of hawthorn. I used an 80 grit wheel mounted in my mini lathe to flatten the front of each piece completely but only did the backs enough so prevent them rocking as I cut them. I got some curious results from the drying process. The thickest piece (25mm, top centre in the photo) broke clean in half and had to be glued back together, while the thinnest piece which is less than 10mm (bottom left in photo) cracked the least.
Img_0254.jpg

Img_0258.jpg

Now all I have to do is decide what phrase to carve on each of them. The thick one is going to be hollowed out at the back to take a clock mechanism, the rest are probably going to be wall-hanging plaques.

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0258.jpg
    Img_0258.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Img_0254.jpg
    Img_0254.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,033
Got the lettering in the first heart cut and filled in yesterday, this is what it looks like, now lots of sanding and polishing to make the gold flakes really stand out clear.
Img_0266.jpg

Img_0262.jpg

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0266.jpg
    Img_0266.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 746
  • Img_0262.jpg
    Img_0262.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 746
Back