mistery drilling device

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
A fellow TATHS member has asked me to find out the use of this drilling device. Made by Goodell Pratt and Co. Greenfield, Massachusets USA patented Aug 1895. It's not made of wood, or from the 18th century so I'm a bit out of my comfort zone on this one :lol:
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers Richard.

I take it that the chuck is static apart from sliding forward, but it must be very limited as to what it can hold on the handle side?

But no idea sorry.

Rod

Hi all
Rich - Does the flat side, opposite the chuck side, look like it could be slid/locked into position on something? Or did it ever have a machined face on the edge?
The hole on the piece below the chuck (above/below) is interesting in as much as it is obviously there for a reason - could it be for some sort of key or do you think it is simply for a handle? Could you let us know what moving parts there are please? And, sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm assuming there is no patent number?

Thanks, and sorry I couldn't help more

Caz

edit - OK, I'll ask; What does a turn of the handle do? :oops:

It is similar to hand roll turnover cartridge loading machines, i would guess it is cartridge reloading oriented. Possibly for reaming cartridge necks or similar.
Out on safari you might need such things.

If the chuck cannot rotate, I'd go with threading machine - the rotating piece looks a lot like a die holder.

BugBear

the rotating piece looks a lot like a die holder.

With the hole being for a grub screw to retain the die? Makes sense. I do know Goodall Pratt made all sorts of stuff - I have something somewhere made by them; perhaps a drill of sorts too.

So, if the rotating part holds the die then the chuck is for the workpiece?

Caz

Fwiw I think the patent date is probably this one which was just for the GP chuck http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?id=5982&set=12

More pics would help. Does the cast 'back' look as if it should be clamped by something else to hold it to a bench?
The strangeness is that it looks like the handle you turn does not advance anything and if the chuck does slide a little it looks as if that is just so you can get something in and out of the chuck.

AndyT":1ah7ks77 said:
The strangeness is that it looks like the handle you turn does not advance anything

That's normal for threading tools, where the die advances itself and/or draws the workpiece into it.

BugBear

Tom K":1i8s8t26 said:
Its a No50 Wire threader go to page 188
http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebui ... tno.16.pdf

(hammer) Happy New Year
Thanks for that Tom. I will let the owner know. thanks for every one else's input as well. This has got to be the best place in the world for identifying mystery tools =D>
Happy new year to every one, Cheers Richard

MickCheese":3hnfenhr said:
Tom K":3hnfenhr said:
Its a No50 Wire threader go to page 188
http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebui ... tno.16.pdf

(hammer) Happy New Year

Tom

How on earth did you find that?

Mick

It's the power of Google for the most part Mick it also turned up a good bit of history on their companies. The interconnection with many other famous toolmakers was interesting those chaps that like the old Miller Falls egg beaters should check 'em out I reckon.

Having followed the roseantiquetools link, and enlarged the picture there.
It is for putting the thread on bicycle spokes.
Cycle shops buy blank longer spokes, then cut and thread to suit each wheel size and spoke pattern.

Bod

A bit late, but I just stumbled on this in Caxton's Engineering Worksop Practice:

53E1B9AB-252F-40D8-B3C8-CF74CD26FB37-625-000001994BEE49A0_zps25f43ca7.jpg

edit: sorry the photo's up the wrong way, it looks fine in photobucket :-s

Back