A Drill of Unknown Make, a Mystery Tool and Other Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought today for £10:
- Small double pinion drill. It looks a bit battered but works well after oiling. There is no visible maker's mark - does anyone know who it is made by?
- A mystery tool, marked: Browns patent R9642379, Made in England. Does anyone know what this is for? I tried looking up the patent number on Google but found nothing.
- Oval bolster mortice chisel, 3/16” (“pig sticker”). Stamped “IOSEPH”, upside down compared with the usual way. Makeshift handle in ash.
- Curved scraper, Goodell Pratt Company, Toolsmiths, Greenfield Mass. USA. Dark wood handle.
- Triangular scraper, no visible maker’s mark. Beech handle.
- Marking gauge, rosewood, no visible maker’s mark.

Attachments

• IMG_4776C.jpg
    IMG_4776C.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_4770C.jpg
    IMG_4770C.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_4774C.jpg
    IMG_4774C.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,148
That's a nice haul. The mystery tool is a rug makers tool - used for pulling bits of wool or rag through a hessian backing to make rugs.

......and the hand-drill is a 1970's era one by Footprint Tools. The handle unscrews, and screws into the socket in line with the chuck. Some had a keyed chuck, but that one looks like a keyless version.

I think the three-square scraper is a home-made jobby; it was quite common at one time to make one by grinding the teeth off a worn-out three-square file. Not common to see one with a chisel handle!

Also not common to see that pattern of marking gauge in rosewood - they're usually beech.

Thanks for your replies. I may have to learn a new craft now :)

I also wondered if that scraper had once been a file. If so, the grinding has been very neatly done.

BTW, does anyone know why the screw of the gauge has a notch on it? I have seen such notches on other gauges but I have a similar beech one that has no notch.

Attachments

• IMG_4787C.jpg
    IMG_4787C.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_4783C.jpg
    IMG_4783C.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_4788C.jpg
    IMG_4788C.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 971

Latest posts

Back