Made in England Stanley 4 1/2 x 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Surfing evil bay last week and thought I spotted a bargain. A shabby 4 1/2 with surface rust so thought I'd risk it, arrived safe n sound so I dived straight in and polished one side, doh small crack and the other side an even bigger one. Stopped polishing and stripped it and returned to ebay to find another just as cheap and it arrived today.

This one had brown plastic handles dohhh but weighed a lot more than the original, so stripped it down and weighed the soles

Wooden sole = 1016 grams
Plastic = 1263 grams also 5mm wider at 76mm (G12-045)

four point five 01.jpg

Thought quality dropped of a cliff with the arrival of plastic handles or have I just been lucky (in a roundabout way) ?

Attachments

• four point five 01.jpg
    four point five 01.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 4,004
Mr_P":115o6f9d said:
Surfing evil bay last week and thought I spotted a bargain. A shabby 4 1/2 with surface rust so thought I'd risk it, arrived safe n sound so I dived straight in and polished one side, doh small crack and the other side an even bigger one.
I don't know what it is with 4 1/2 planes, but I've had 4 or 5 arrive with cracks from the mouth, or down one side.

...so stripped it down and weighed the soles
:shock: You did what !!! You weighed the soles :shock: :shock: (I do that too) :oops: :oops:

Wooden sole = 1016 grams
Plastic = 1263 grams also 5mm wider at 76mm (G12-045)

Mine are weighed with SWMBOs kitchen scales :mrgreen:
English 4½s weigh between 1120g & 1240g - with the later being from the same period as your second plane.
USA 4½s weigh between 1030g & 1050g - these being type 11, 13 & 14.
Record 04½s from 960g (with one side wing broken off) to 1070g.

Thought quality dropped of a cliff with the arrival of plastic handles or have I just been lucky (in a roundabout way) ?
Weight may be good for momentum through knots, but it's not necessarily a sign of quality. The best quality Stanleys are said to be the earlier USA ones, and as you can see, they're amoung the lightest. It's allowing the castings to settle before machining (and during?) that helps produce a flat sole. And attention to detail (QC).

As you can see on your latest plane, Stanley have increased the quality by having not one, not two, not four points of contact between the sole a frog - but a massive EIGHT contact faces. This is of course not a quality issue, but the beancounters attempting to further reduce the amount of machining required. Bedrocks have only one point of contact between frog and sole, and they are the best there are.

Cheers, Vann.

I piad £3 for one of these heavy plastic handled planes last summer in a car boot sale . The sole was pretty good just needed an hour to flatten , sharpened and honed the iron and then gave it a go . Boy was i surprised this crappy plastic handled plane worked better than any of my other smoothers and is now my go to plane.

DSC_0201_zps4756a4ce.jpg

I hope yours is a good user too

Cheers Bern :D

I do agree that there are good Stanley planes with plastic handles. My no 4 which I bought new in about 1979 is an excellent tool. It was made in Sheffield though. I would be far more wary of later models made in low wage countries.

AndyT":3k8uuny7 said:
I do agree that there are good Stanley planes with plastic handles. My no 4 which I bought new in about 1979 is an excellent tool. It was made in Sheffield though. I would be far more wary of later models made in low wage countries.

I have two of the plastic handled #5 Jacks and they're as good as any other.

I suspect those that rubbish them are the ones who can't set them up properly :wink:

AndyT":zcdb2rcg said:

Lucky guy! I bought my first one in the early 70's and spent a week just getting the sole flat and putting the sides square :( Of course, you guessed it, it was a Handyman... :oops: . I managed to put it reasonably workable, though.
I have a no. 3 bought at the same time, and another one about the same vintage, plastic-looking brownish totes, both ok. But they are the so-called Bailey versions, not Handymans.

Treated my 41/2 and replaced the plastic handles with some Black Walnut that i picked up from the Yandles show last month .

DSC_0206_zps68083804.jpg

DSC_0209_zps6b696068.jpg

DSC_0210_zps52a1e893.jpg

DSC_0211_zps926f8fbb.jpg

DSC_0212_zpsecdafb13.jpg

DSC_0217_zpsdc917497.jpg

DSC_0229_zpsb2fcf99d.jpg

DSC_0225_zps5f171906.jpg

Love this plane even more now .

Thanks Graham and congratulations on your Popular woodworking slot , quite shocked but not surprised to see you there.
Off car booting this morning so better sign out and get going before all the good stuffs gone.

Thanks Bern, it might be short lived but it's nice to have the chance. Happy hunting at the car boot.

Thanks Andy ,Van and Mr P

Good link Mr P but that guy makes the job seem more complicated than it is , especially the hole placement . I just offered the new shape handle up marked where the stud was and drilled free hand .

DSC_0207_zpsc6a91d35.jpg

DSC_0208_zps4432e9b0.jpg

Drilled from the top half way and then from the bottom to make sure i didnt wander off coarse.

Those handles are pure class Bern! Superb! =D>

As for you guys weighing the soles of different versions of a specific type of Bailey plane....I actually found this fascinating...which is why I plan to get out more this week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is something distinctly Faustian about this thread! :twisted:

Oh...and yes...our Graham the celebrity...had to happen...the guy's a natural! =D>

Jimi

jimi43":1adpuog4 said:
As for you guys weighing the soles of different versions of a specific type of Bailey plane....I actually found this fascinating...which is why I plan to get out more this week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Help, help, I'm being picked-on !!! :oops:

:mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

Back