Lidl Japanese Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw this in the Lidl paper last week and picked one up today. It's much bigger than I expected for some reason and got some wisecrack comments from the bloke on the checkout, but it cuts nicely and for £6.99 what's not to like.

Nick

Is it the double sided one with the removable handle?

The blade kept coming out of the handle with mine. I epoxied it in.

I hope this time round they have the rip teeth the right way round. a couple of iterations ago they had them cutting on the push strocke

I didn't realise the handle was removable, will see how long it lasts.

Version is 01/2017, and made in Germany. And it does cut on both sides on the pull stroke.

Nick

I bought one the last time they were on sale and used it a lot but then I mislaid it, so got another yesterday. The original is in some 'safe place' in my very messy workshop and I can't find it.

I couldn't get on with my Lidl saw, it just feels really wrong and I found it hard to get started. I have the Irwin pull saw from Screwfix and that is absolutely lovely to use, very happy with it!

I bought two last year they do the big double sided one & a smaller single sided one. I like them, the smaller one was so good i went back & bought another three so i could have one on the boat one at work & a spare.

Droogs":234luynt said:
I hope this time round they have the rip teeth the right way round. a couple of iterations ago they had them cutting on the push strocke

I didn't notice this on my previous saw but this one does cut on the push not pull. They should be renamed as Japanese handle style saws. :(

I got one yesterday. Today I made a bench hook with the support block at the front. Tried it on some softwood and was pleased with results – smooth finish to the cut and nice and straight. Only problem is finding somewhere to store it !

Regards Arnold

sorry for the late reply...

I've seen two types of japanese-style saw at Lidl: one a ryoba-style with a blade length of about 30cm and another about 18cm, the latter coming with two blades of 17 and 22 tpi

I've also used an Irwin 'ryoba' and have a Gyokucho ryoba

Lidl: the large one is a bit disappointing. the 'rip' side is rubbish with teeth nothing like a japanese ripsaw - and I don't use that side. the crosscut side is OK but feels clumsy. I use it for bits of wood I don't care too much about and on site where it might be damaged by hidden nails etc, such as floorboards. it's not up to much but for £7, hey...

the smaller one is a different story entirely. it's only got crosscut teeth but they seem to have no set, so it makes an excellent flush-cut saw. it's very sharp indeed and is very durable. I've had one for 18 months or so and have only used the 17tpi blade but it still cuts very well indeed. it's a great little saw: so good that the next time they turned up, I bought two more, just in case. a friend uses an 'Ice Bear' (aka Z-saw?) flushcut saw that cost £25 and it's not as good as this one. the cut is so incredibly smooth that you'd swear it had been planed - probably due to the lack of set on the teeth allied with the japanese tooth profile

the only criticism I have of the smaller one is the handle. I'd prefer a longer one as I find that helps with accuracy but it's not a big issue

the Irwin 'ryoba': pretty rubbish. it became dull very quickly - I used mainly the crosscut side - and the handle feels very cheap. the rip side is still good but the crosscut side lost a couple of teeth for no apparent reason. I use it for ripping 'on site' so it's still got a use but it's simply not worth buying

as for the Gyokucho: it's the dog's. it's unbelievably sharp and I love using it. apparently the brand is the standard one used by Japanese carpenters... it's not imported to the UK any more but you can get them via that big auction site. just remember there's an import tarriff

get the small Lidl one. it's great and you won't regret it. for £7 it's a real bargain

Keith 66":3sazb34i said:
I bought two last year they do the big double sided one & a smaller single sided one. I like them, the smaller one was so good i went back & bought another three so i could have one on the boat one at work & a spare.

agreed. the smaller one is really very good indeed - and with two blades for £7? fantastic value

I have one of the Lidl saws with 2 sets of teeth (rip & crosscut). It makes a smooth cut but I find it very difficult to cut plumb, a problem I do not have with a western style saw. This could (probably is) down to my poor technique but it is enough of a problem that I rarely use the saw. I have never used any other "Japanese" saw so I don't know if this problem is because of the change to a pull saw or if there is some other problem with this saw. I just concluded that I should stick to western-style saws.

I love that little saw too, I bought one, tried it and immediately bought 2 more. 1st set lasted about 2 years, only just started on my second set of blades.

richnfamous":2h4ghv3t said:
as for the Gyokucho: it's the dog's. it's unbelievably sharp and I love using it. apparently the brand is the standard one used by Japanese carpenters... it's not imported to the UK any more

They are available at Workshop Heaven

Back