Leadwood Desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Last job before Christmas :ho2

It's a quick and easy build so I thought I'd do a WIP, especially as it will use Domino joinery which I know quite a few people on the forum either use or would like to use. I'm not saying my methods are the best or only way of going about it, but it works for me so there may be some useful information for someone.

It's a waney edged, slab top desk. The top is Leadwood, I believe this is one of the world's heaviest timbers, not quite the absolute heaviest but probably the only one from the super heavy weight division that's available in quite large boards. The few timbers that are even heavier, such as Snakewood, are from trees that are pretty small, not much bigger than large bushes really, so they don't yield sizeable sections.

Leadwood-Desk-1.jpg

This is about 5' x 2' x 2", I don't know what it weighs but it's absolutely at the very limit of what I can manage on my own, in fact it's a bit more than I can manage so I tend to "walk" it around the workshop rather than lift it. It's a beautiful timber, similar to a Rosewood (look at the very pale but hard sap wood for example) but with a finer grain. This particular board has a lot of figure which unfortunately doesn't really show in these phone photos. I planed it flat by hand as it's too big for my machinery. I've covered hand planing big slabs in previous posts so I won't go through it again. I've thought about building a router jig for slab flattening but to be honest I can get the job done with a few hours of bench plane work, and storing yet another big jig would be a hassle. It's more important that a desk be truly flat than say a dining table, because it will support a keyboard and a rocking keyboard would be very irritating. That's perfectly achievable with a bench plane, some winding sticks, and a straight edge. I suspect that a bench plane will yield a more accurate result than a router jig, unless the jig was exceptionally heavily built which would make storage even more of a problem.

Because the front legs of this desk will be angled the first job is to draw up a full sized plan or "rod". For rectilinear furniture, with straight lines and ninety degree angles, I often don't bother with a rod even on fairly complex builds. I'll often work entirely from a scale drawing with just a few joinery details drawn out full size. But as soon as angles or curves enter the equation, even simple ones, I find it's worth the time to construct a rod.

Lots of makers draw out their rods on sheets of 6mm or 9mm MDF. However, I use a slightly different method. I tape a sheet of draughtsman's heavyweight tracing paper to a sheet of MDF that has accurate straight edges and corners, then I draw on that using a T square.

Leadwood-Desk-Rod.jpg

The big advantage is that I don't have to store loads of MDF plans. After the job's done the plan can be rolled up and stuck into cardboard tubes stored in the joists.

Leadwood-Desk-Rod Storage.jpg

The disadvantage is that if I want to use the plan again, but with some amendments, then it's impossible to tape it back down to a sheet of MDF so it's perfectly aligned, I can get close but "close" isn't good enough. Consequently I can't use a T Square for any future plan changes and have to work from the surface of the plan itself using perspex drawing squares. However, taken in the round this is a system that works reasonably well without spending a fortune.

Attachments

• Leadwood-Desk-1.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 596
  • Leadwood-Desk-Rod.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Rod.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 596
  • Leadwood-Desk-Rod Storage.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Rod Storage.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 596
I appreciate a lot of woodworkers, especially hobbyists woodworkers, don't want to spend the time constructing full sized plans. I work commercially, so time is money, yet I'm convinced that a full sized rod is time well spent. Basically because it eliminates a lot of stupid mistakes which would then take far more time to remedy.

After playing around to find a pleasing angle for the front legs I draw this on the rod and can then measure that angle, in this case 5.75 degrees of splay. It's then possible to set up your machinery to cut that angle precisely, cut a test piece and offer it up to the rod.

Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle.jpg

Once the machine settings have been nailed it's a good idea to make a master angle template in MDF which can be used a checker or to set an adjustable bevel.

Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle 2.jpg

The rod is also very useful for laying out your joinery full size. And with a Domino that's especially important. The Domino is great machine, but it's pretty inflexible when it comes to the width of the mortices. Yes, you can use it as a portable morticing machine and cut wider mortices in stages, but then you have to make your own loose tenons and the marking out becomes more complicated, so the time saving advantage disappears. With a full size drawing of the joinery you can work to the Domino's sweet spot and design the components to fit the machine right from the beginning.

Leadwood-Desk,-Joinery-Detail.jpg

Attachments

• Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 585
  • Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle 2.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Master Angle 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 584
  • Leadwood-Desk,-Joinery-Detail.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk,-Joinery-Detail.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 585
Having finalised a drawing of the piece, and worked out the joinery details to suit both the design and the Domino machine. Then the next job is to detail a full cutting list.

It's impossible to exaggerate the importance of these steps. Without a plan and a cutting list the risk of errors and inefficiencies multiply exponentially. A lot of people are so eager to start a project that they either ignore these stages or gallop through them too quickly.

Armed with the cutting list you can then start to machine your components. Which raises the question of do you go straight to final dimensions or progress there in stages? There isn't a simple answer. Some components, like drawer sides (or at least with the way I make drawers) are so critical that I'll always rough cut the sides at least two weeks before they're needed and leave them in stick, machining them down in small subsequent stages and checking how they're behaving themselves.

For this Leadwood desk I'm making the legs and frame in Beech, which doesn't have the best reputation for stability. However, I selected the boards for straight grain and lack of warping. They then acclimatised in the heated workshop for a week or two, after which I checked the moisture content.

Leadwood-Desk-Beech-MC.jpg

At 8.7% these boards are very close to their likely final equilibrium point, so all that remains is to see how much internal stress they're carrying with a few test cuts, and then take a view.

I could probably have gotten away with machining straight to final size, but there's adequate time on this job, so I cut and planed 3mm over in width and thickness. I'll then leave them for a couple of days and do the final dimensioning on Monday morning.

Leadwood-Desk-Components.jpg

When machining down to final size I usually still leave an allowance of about 0.5mm in width and thickness for final hand planing and sanding.

That's one full day's work in total to get to this stage.

I had originally planned to make the legs and frame using wedged through tenons and bridle joints, the client didn't request them but that's what I wanted to do. However, when I discussed this with the client last week I said if I followed that plan there was a chance I might not make a Christmas delivery, he went for the date rather than the joinery frills so I elected to go with Dominos. I'm guessing the entire job will therefore come in at three days work with delivery on Wednesday or Thursday.

Independent furniture makers owe a big debt to George Nakashima for popularising waney edged slab top furniture. They may not be the most exciting things to make, but they provide a crucial commercial lifeline for many small independent makers. You can't open an interior design or architectural magazine without seeing waney edged furniture, but it's impossible to buy it on the High Street, consequently clients are forced to find smaller makers who can make it for them. The numbers add up commercially too, as a rough guide it's possible to sell most decent sized waney edged pieces at about £1,000 plus the cost of the slab and other raw materials. Given that they generally only take about a week to make it's one of the few viable propositions for an independent maker.

The main problem is sourcing really good slabs of the right size. A decent desk for a commercial environment needs to be at least 600mm deep, you might just get away with 500mm in a domestic situation but any narrower looks a bit silly. And for a dining table it's quite a bit wider still. Even a narrow trestle style dining table should be over 800mm wide, for a normal six or eight seat dining table you want 900-1200mm wide, and for the whopping great twelve or fourteen seat dining tables that many people want (or at least the people who are in a position to commission furniture!) you really need to be looking for 1500mm plus wide boards.

And that's a problem, boards of that scale are very few and far between. Add in the fact that you also want a beautiful board and the rarity element escalates further. Which is why you see loads of waney edged consol tables or sofa tables or coffee tables, which can all use narrower boards, but wide boards for waney edged desks and dining tables remain exceptional and prized.

I suspect the problem of availability will eventually kill this particular golden goose. I've seen some truly awful attempts to get around the shortage of wide boards. Two waney edged boards with the wane trimmed from one edge and then jointed together book match style, a waney edged board with a piece let in down the middle, or simply ugly and unsuitable boards press ganged into service. Sooner or later I guess pieces like that will bring this style of furniture into disrepute, but right now it's still possible to make hay while the sun shines.

Attachments

• Leadwood-Desk-Beech-MC.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Beech-MC.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Leadwood-Desk-Components.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Components.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 559
looking forward to this one
does it's weight make it hard as well?
just wondering wether the 2 come hand in hand
also interested how you "clean" a waney edge

Steve

Hi Custard
Thanks for doing this WIP, it's always helpful to an amateur like me to hear what the professionals do and why they do it that way.
Cheers, Tom

I've got a little offcut of leadwood, in with a great assortment of timber that Custard most generously gave me. It's really extraordinarily heavy! Working with that great slab must be like working with granite, so I really hope you will have had an extra pair of hands to help lift it when needed.

I too will be watching (and bookmarking) this thread with close interest. It's a privilege to get a detailed look into the world of high end commercial cabinet making.

PS - The other timbers will be cropping up quite soon, and should make 2017 a pleasantly producive year. :)

Brilliant WIP custard, just the sort of thing we need on here to inspire people.
Much better than a sharpening thread.

Pete

custard":3cozwv5t said:
Without a plan and a cutting list the risk of errors and inefficiencies multiply exponentially. A lot of people are so eager to start a project that they either ignore these stages or gallop through them too quickly.

And yet every time I tell myself this it seems to fall on deaf ears, because I keep doing it. Not on anything so grand, but then perhaps if I did adhere to this strategy the result would boost my confidence and I might tackle bigger and better. I just can't help feeling like I'm shirking [even as a hobbyist :roll: ] if I sit down at the computer to actually plan a job properly.

Thanks for the WIP, we've all been waiting patiently. :D

That is an excellent exposition of the importance of planning out the job before you start. Full size drawings are vital, I will refer my students to this thread when they doubt my word.

Personally I don't like waney edge stuff, it seems a little twee to me, but I know lots of people disagree. Where did you get the Leadwood from Custard. If you want to go large with the waney edge stuff you could try this waney edge Bubinga that Duffields up near Ripon have at the moment.
Bubinga-Duffield Timber_opt.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• Bubinga-Duffield Timber_opt.jpg
    Bubinga-Duffield Timber_opt.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 492
I'd never even heard of leadwood until yesterday when I found myself mooching around on the Sauer and Steiner planemaker blog trying to nick some inspiration and wondering which of my kids I liked least so I could sell them and buy a leadwood infill that I hadn't realised I'd needed till I saw it moments before. Come on ukw this morning and you're making a desk out of it! Looking forward to this one like everyone else.

Interesting indeed.
Do you allow for any 're-finishing' when pricing this sort of furniture (slabs) ? I've often wondered what happens if the slab behaves unexpectedly in its new environment and customer becomes unhappy with the overall flatness of the item.

Back