Krenovian Damascas Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":28mp8ko1 said:
For anyone in the suburbs trying to watch The Woodwright's Shop, I recommend this link.
155 episodes available for streaming, pausing, rewinding. Many in HD if you sign in.
http://video.unctv.org/show/woodwrights-shop/

Thanks, by the way, Andy. I'm going to see if my good friend George is on any of the available episodes (I know he's been on there, but not recently).

George is a good example of an extreme master maker of just about anything who doesn't make for exciting watching. (I'll tell him the latter part of that and see what he says). I can make boring videos, for sure, but I'm not a master of anything.

"Putting the myth to the test, several researchers have recently made a
stab at calculating how fast glass actually flows. Unfortunately for the
textbooks, the latest estimate, made by Yvonne Stokes of the University
of Adelaide, and which will be reported in the Proceedings of the Royal
Society next month, is that it would take over 10 million years for a window
pane to flow perceptibly."

(It's going to be pretty difficult to see if Dr. Stokes has made accurate calculations).

Well, it already looks like that calculation is completely inaccurate: From the scintillating Journal of the American Ceramics Society (which I read now having taken a short break from Ostomy Wound Management Magazine, which my wife still gets for free due to her former job caring for wounds):

Despite this significantly lower value of the room temperature viscosity, the viscosity of the glass is much too high to observe measurable viscous flow on a human time scale. Using analytical expressions to describe the glass flow over a wall, we calculate a maximum flow of ~1 nm over a billion years.

(never even heard of this musing before, but see that it originates from church glass. But nobody has asked the simple question of why even older glass doesn't have a hole at the top or become too short for the structure it's in).

There's probably lots of things we consider solids that would flow 1nm in a billion years lol.

Rorschach":3s7tg22x said:
There's probably lots of things we consider solids that would flow 1nm in a billion years lol.

Yeah, you're right that I regurgitated an urban legend without thinking, though. My mistake.

But nobody has asked the simple question of why even older glass doesn't have a hole at the top or become too short for the structure it's in).
Or why those museum Roman bottles and glasses haven't turned into blobs.
Cast glass and crown glass, blown and spun, tends to be very variable in thickness .
In an old multi paned windows and stained glass you may find everything from the thick "bullseye" (from the middle) to pieces varying wildly in thickness, down to 1mm.
There's a natural tendency to install them thick end downwards, which probably reduces chance of breakage. But this also might be the origin of the old glass creeping myth -
it often looks as though it's sagged downwards but in fact was fitted like that from new.
I used to have a few reclaimed samples which showed this but they've flown away!

patrickjchase":1slk3grk said:
Rorschach":1slk3grk said:

Yeah, you're right that I regurgitated an urban legend without thinking, though. My mistake.

Well, it does sound like it moves a tiny bit!

My favorite saying is "everything is liquid if the time period is long enough".

I'm sure that's not an accurate statement, but it's fun to say.

Back