Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post some pictures of a fitted alcove i am working on.

Started off by making the beaded face frames for the cabinet. The alcove is going to fitted out like a dresser with a painted bottom section and an oak top section which is set back from the bottom. I started with the bottom face frame which is made from tulipwood.

The joints were cut on the router table using a 1/2 inch 45 degree cutter.

End joints
alcove-01.jpg

Mid rail joints

alcove-02.jpg

45 degree cuts on rails made on panel saw

alcove-06.jpg

Frame showing joints before being moulded

alcove-03.jpg

The frame is then moulded and then the favorite powertool comes out

alcove-04.jpg

Frame dry fitted

alcove-08.jpg

And close up of the joint

alcove-05.jpg

The frame is nowready to be glued up so i moved onto the top carcase.

The shape of the top carcase is not straightforward so it is all set out on a full size rod and the joints cut. The frame is also beaded and I had to break out the handtools out to do the top angled joints.

alcove-07.jpg

Will update when I have made some more progress

Jon

Looking good so far Jon.
I`ve used plastic butterflies before on this type of frame construction, but could i ask how small the domino fixing are? is there a range of different sized fixings as with biscuits?
Sorry if these seem daft questions, but i`ve never seen a domino in the flesh, let alone used one. From your photo it looks very much like a biscuit jointer, is it similar to use?

Hi doug the domino fixings range from 5mm X 30mm to 10mm X 50mm. The domino jointer is similar to a biscuit jointer but has a rotating spiral cutter rather than a blade. I find I dont use the biscuit jointer since getting the domino jointer.

Are the plastic butterflies you used made by Hoffmann?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Looking good.

I like the way you've made the frame. I usually use a 45 degree flat bottomed cutter in a hand-held router and a jig I've made similar to a hinge jig.

I've got such a job coming up so I will have a try doing it on the router table instead. Most people seem to use the table saw but it's never worked for me.

I share your enthusiasm for the Domino. This is just the sort of job it excels at - making delicate face frames. Like you I haven't touched my biscuit joiner since getting the Domino.

I'm glad to see that you made the frame before the cabinet, too. I seems counter intuitive but I've learned that it is always better to do things that way round. It is much easier to make a carcass to fit a frame perfectly than vice versa.

Saves on workshop space, too. I get all the frames and doors made first and only put the carcasses together at the end - often after spray finishing all the componant pieces.

Cheers
Duncan

I also like the way you've made your frame. Looks like a smart way to use Dominos. :)

Looking nice, Jon

Dan Tovey":3i1re3vi said:
I share your enthusiasm for the Domino. This is just the sort of job it excels at - making delicate face frames.

Me too :D Perfect for this sort of job. I still use my biscuit jointer for other stuff but used to find it frustrating that it couldn't be used for this type of work.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

JonnyD":2j7aq43m said:
Are the plastic butterflies you used made by Hoffmann?

To be honest Jon i can`t remember, at the time i was using them i was sub-contracting to a bespoke kitchen company, they supplied all the fittings & a lot of the equipment, but it was a few years ago.
I`ve recently had a enquiry about making some front framed bathroom furniture, i`d thought about doweling the frames, but having read on the forum quite a lot about the domino & now seeing your post, i`m toying with the idea of getting one.
There has been some talk of a metal pin (?) having to be changed for a plastic one on new models, (some copyright infringement). Could i ask which your domino has?

Hi Doug i have had my domino for about 2 1/2 years now and it is the one with the metal pins. I have no experience of the plastic ones though.

Jon

Had a few hours in the workshop Today so i started to make the bottom carcase. Its Made from 19mm Oak Veneered MDF and jointed with Dominos.

Alcove-09.jpg

I then used the domino again to fix the face frame onto the carcase.

alcove-10.jpg

Alcove-11.jpg

Alcove-12.jpg

I usually leave the top of the face frame a little proud

Alcove-13.jpg

And then use another favorite tool to plane it flush

Alcove-14.jpg

I then planed up some timber for the doors

seen here planing a face edge

Alcove-16.jpg

and the stock ready for tenoning and grooving

Alcove-15.jpg

I cut the tenons on the single end tenoner

Alcove-17.jpg

The grooves are done on the spindle moulder with an adjustable grooving cutter. The panel is 9mm mdf so I used some calipers to set the adjustable groover to 0.1mm more

Alcove-18.jpg

The groover is set up in the spindle with a zero clearance false fence

Alcove-19.jpg

And then the pieces feed through

Alcove-20.jpg

The tenon just fits into the groove so it is a quick and accurate way to make a door

Alcove-21.jpg

I just about had enough time left to cut up the oak veneered sheet on the panel saw. Because the pieces are quite narrow i set up a stop on the sliding table to keep everything parallel

Alcove-22.jpg

Will keep you updated

Jon

Paul Chapman":pyuxsdtv said:
Me too :D Perfect for this sort of job. I still use my biscuit jointer for other stuff but used to find it frustrating that it couldn't be used for this type of work.

Paul

:shock:

When did you get your Domino Paul?????

Cheers

Karl

Great set of photos Jon.
With every thing including the kitchen sink :D
From the looks you`ll be finished in no time, you`re certainly greasing that "slope" towards a domino, for me. :lol: :lol:

I dont think you will regret it if you get a domino Doug. Its expensive but it saves me loads of time on certain jobs and more than earns it keep.

Jon

karl":icuu64o4 said:
:shock:

When did you get your Domino Paul?????

I bought it about 6 months ago. I was lucky in that a friend was selling up all his workshop stuff so I bought it second-hand - but it was in very good condition and I'd tried it out on a previous occasion so I knew it was good. Couldn't have afforded a new one, so I jumped at the chance. It's the older model with the metal pins.

It's a great tool. I really like using loose tenons and you can use the Domino in situations where you can't use the biscuit jointer.

Paul

Hi Olly

I have just checked out how much they are at axminster - nearly a grand :shock: :shock:

I have actually had it about 5 years and i paid about £525 for it I think.

Its a great tool but I would have to think seriously about buying it at todays cost.

Jon

Excellent WIP, Jon. It's nice seeing how the pro's do things, learnt a lot from this post. BTW, is that a rod you're using for setting out the frame or is it just on old rod you're leaning on (...being careful about mentioning rods after the last time... :lol: )

Lovely bit of work there,

Hope you've taken a pic of where you're putting it before you fit it. I think its always good to see that and then the after just to see how a piece can transform an area, plus there is nearly always someone else who has a similar problem/area that they are wondering what they can put in it!

Btw, looks like a well equipped shop you've got there! The sales pitches here for the domino are piling up!!! :D

Back