KATSU router/trimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently they are pretty good, I know a couple of people on another forum who have them. They are that cheap they can afford to go wrong

Yep, tbh I can't praise them enough ... and I am in no way affiliated to AimTools or Katsu, I just like good quality tooling whether powered or hand driven, and reasonably priced.

I still need to order up the tilting base, but for less than a 100 quid I could get the full set of Router, standard base, tilting base, and plunge base, (and THAT folks, is a lot of kit for the money!) so will wait till funds allow and go for that option I think. That way worse case scenario I have a back-up of the main machine at least.

I'm a little surprised these haven't raised more comments, cracking little bits of kit.

Mine arrived today with the additional tilting base, good service from Aim Tools. Quick trial performed well but it appears (searching the net) that to use the PC type guide bushes, it needs the plunge base and a Makita adaptor p/no. 321492-3.

Don't know the relationship between Makita and Katsu but the 12 month warranty is a Makita one and it appears to be a rebadged product rather than a copy.

Graham, this might be just the job for a project I have. A couple of questions though - (a) is it variable speed? The specs say 10-30k rpm, but I can't see any evidence of a speed control in the pics and (b) the 'headline' says it comes with with 1/4" and 3/8" collets, but the pics refer to 6mm and 8mm collets. What was actually supplied?
Thanks, Robin.

Hi, collets are 1/4" & 3/8". It is variable speed and comes with a straight guide and a trimmer guide, dust nozzle, spanner and spare brushes

.EDIT - I'm told Makita 8mm collet fits - Collet Cone 8mm – 763618-5 but I've not yet bought one to try.

Attachments

• P1000798a.jpg
    P1000798a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16,360
Thanks for the info Graham - I shall snap one up. It's an experimental CNC project I have in mind, if it doesn't work out I won't be too upset by the price of this thing, and it'll find other uses!
Robin

I also have three of the Katsu routers in my workshop purely for speed, one with chamfer cutter and two different sizes of roundover cutter - Cannot fault them in any way and have been using them daily for several months.

Ok if I wanted to be really picky a longer flex would be better but at £35 each i'm not complaining

Dodge":3ta06ona said:
I also have three of the Katsu routers in my workshop
-buy cheap, buy thrice. ;)

I've not come across these before but was looking for a quarter inch router and these are less than the price of two cutters from a lot of places so going to order one now!

These are brilliant, i have three also with guided roundover bits from wealdons of various sizes, at this price you could have one for every bit you use lol, very smooth running too.

awesome was ready to spend some 80pounds for an used bosch one just because my large 1/2 router is toooooo damn massive and heavy for the small detail works and scrathes the surfaces easily.
Off to order one as well.

howser":3cv1l40k said:
These are brilliant, i have three also with guided roundover bits from wealdons of various sizes, at this price you could have one for every bit you use lol, very smooth running too.
I thought that you had to have a router for each cutter you own...

:)

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hi, i've just bought one of these katsu router kits. I'm very new to the art/skill of routing so you may see me on here quite a bit. I just need to know if the 6 and 8mm collets from the makita machine they seem to be modelled off, will fit on this one, and if not where could I find the right ones. I live in Spain and most bits are for the 6 or 8mm, hence my need for them. Also, any suggestions on where I can read up some good tips/advice on bit selection and buying.

thanks
david

I can offer a mini review of this trimmer after owning one for some time.

For the money, its excellent. It doesn't feel as good as my Dewalt version, but it routes smalled jobs well.

My criticisms are minor, but are:

1) Power cable stalk points in a way that gets in the way if you are working by nearby objects. Its also a bit short.

2) The height adjustment wonders slightly over time (no micro adjustment).

3) It stops and starts occasionally (think its the cable)

4) the black base plate is too small and the router can tilt as you run along an edge. (I fixed this by designing and making custom plate below)

A great deal non the less. Going to buy another.

Attachments

• 20151204_102541(0).jpg
    20151204_102541(0).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,615
Sorry about this but I've only just joined the website, and posted a question, and hadn't realised the forum I looked at yesterday, by chance, was the same one.
Appreciate the articles about this router, one of which I ordered last week, but could I ask about general information on why type of cutters to use for various task (forgive me if it seems a stupid question but I'm complete new to this) Is there anywhere I can find out the various uses for different cutters? In particular I want to be able to chase out some new doors to put hinges on.

Thanks,

John

Back