How to get your laptop or tower PC W10 to display on your TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Makes a change me not asking :D
I had a new Windows 10 pc around 2 months ago from Amazon Prime and my TV would not work as the monitor, I asked for assistance from the pc supplier and they said it was not possible to do that with a windows 10 so I returned pc to supplier for a refund (under the Prime conditions purchased).Took about 6 weeks.

Now I have found this link on how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrb-Cm6UBVo

I have been occupied for sometime trying to get this information and today I have pinched the wifes W10 laptop and going to follow those instructions.
Been nice knowing you members so if it did not work you know what the wife has done to me

While I have comparatively limited understanding of TVs, I've built a good 30 or more rigs for other people who use their PCs on the TV. I've even done one for the Wife, as well as building and continually upgrading my own X99 rig, of course...

It was possible with previous Windows versions, so there's no reason it couldn't be done with Windows 10. If anything, modern Smart TVs and Windows 10 make it even easier than ever. Your supplier is talking absolute horse-spit!
Unless there are restrictions in the specific model of TV you have, the only thing that should prevent you connecting everything up would be the ports on the machines - These days you usually just need a DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort cable, but even before all these, there were adapters and options. You can even cast to a SmartTV from your PC either wirelessly or via the home internet router.

Best of luck with the wife, though!

Like Tasky, I've built a number of desktops & I get tasked with problem solving those of family & friends.
I've found that most require a reboot to sense the HDMI cable.
You should also be able to manage the display from a right click/Personalise on a blank area of the desktop.
Before you buy anything else, post the specs, or a link to it, to get some feedback on its capabilities.

Thanks for the encouragement, the wife is content, I haven't started yet it took me 7 hours to get her windows 10 updates in. She never had her laptop on long enough for them to install I suspect in the past three years.
So taking the plunge today, see yeah.

Plugged the hdmi lead into the laptop from tv and got a full screen immediately on tv and laptop screen working .
Scaling on tv screen was a little bit tight and properties on the amd video card only had a display setting no scaling.
but if required can always look at the laptop screen.
That support at AWDIT did not know what he was talking about on that new PC a couple of months ago.
I suspect when thing do not go right on the laptop for the wife I will get the blame and the comment will be you are not allowed on my computer again :D
Thanks all for your advice and instructions.

Back