Help with Giant Kismet Pump Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
After a run of doing up old pumps, I got the opportunity to finish off with this monster:

Kismet Trolly (vice mounted) by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I think the previous owner left it outside, because its full of nature! Also all the screws are rusted up :? Yay.... Have managed to free most of them apart from 2 of the most important (of course :roll: ) which will not move despite application of considerable force.

Culprit one (before someone tells me off, the head of the screw looked like that when I got it):
Cylinder Base by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Culprit two (its not threaded), this seems to be made out of ridicoulsy hard steel that is nearly impervious to HSS drills, even my magic festool one :shock: (tried to drill it out):
Crosshead Pin by Rhyolith, on Flickr
Crosshead Pin by Rhyolith, on Flickr

You can see both of these out of the pump here: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Creaper2 ... 2.jpg.html

Kismet Compressor Plan by Rhyolith, on Flickr

How do I get these pains out? Ideally in tact.

I've had similar rock solid things before and have nearly admitted defeat. A blow lamp and some heat free'd them up, I couldn't believe it made that much difference. I'm guessing heat would ruin this though ? What about an impact driver (one you hit with a hammer) perhaps clockwise a tad then anticlockwise...or until it shears off.
I like the look of it, looks like somebody took pride making it.

Coley

I'd agree with Coley - a few heat cycles should help. Wait till its cooled a bit then spray it with penetrating oil - if its too hot it just turns to vapour before its got into the joint. A beefy hand impact driver is a good call too - much more controllable way of putting a lot of torque into it!

custard":1yuy6jpc said:
Brilliant project, what would something like that have been used for?
Its the largest pump Kismet made (to my knowledge) and apparently can achieve air pressure of 500psi, which leaves me wondering what could need 500psi?? I don't know much beyound that... Its called the Kismet trolley compressor, so it may do the same thing as a modern compressor?

I have tried to use a electric heat gun for the heat and cool method before on another similar issue with mixed success. I don't have a more powerful source of controlled heat than that. I will try it anyway, no harm in that (willing to risk some paint to get them out).

I like handheld impact drivers - I have a couple of them. The ones with 1/2" drive are OK, but the couplings do dull the blow significantly. If you use one of those, take up the slack fully with your wrist before thumping the end. It sometimes also helps, especially with Japanese crosshead screws (on motorbikes) to use a drift (flat-ended punch) to smooth off any damage to the screwhead and close up the slots a little before applying the impact driver - anything that helps to transmit the rotational shock better.

The one I now have that works best was a real cheapie from the 1970s, with long shafts and a slotted coupler to the body of the thing.. It does have the propensity to dismantle itself as you use it - the body unscrews. the shafts are about 6" long and you'd think that would make it less effective, but apparently not so.

My best one of all was a Draper one (from way back when Draper only sourced in Germany, not China!). Sadly it got nicked (I had a builder once, who was eventually sacked, and a lot of my own tools mysteriously got "muddled" with his). It's hard to tell in the shop whether they'll be any good or not in use. I once had to buy one in a hurry and ended up throwing it away as it simply wouldn't work properly.

Treid most of the above suggestions to no avail and have ended up drilling them both out.

Anyway, that means I could finally dismantle the cylinder. Inside its a mess, broken washers, grease and part of the second piston has snapped off :? That makes this a big job that will require skills I do not possess right now (such as fixing brass to brass)... There goes my nice easy end of summer project :roll:

I think this poor thing has been really abused at some point... and the damage means I will probably drop the project for a later date, as I only have access my workshop until Thursday.

As in the missquoated Nelson "Kiss me Hardy" when he said Kismet Hardy.

A very droll and apt reply charlie :)

Back