Good woodworking books for less money

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an interest in the history of woodworking and woodworking tools will probably already know about the excellent resource which is Gary Roberts' Toolemera site - http://toolemera.com/. There you can browse through a wide range of old books, catalogues and ads, showing how tools and techniques used to be. I'm sure many of us have reason to be grateful for the information freely shared there.

What you might not know is that Gary also sells modern reprints of some of the rare old material in his collection. These are all scanned and prepared for printing with the proper attention to detail that comes from someone passionately interested in the contents. You won't find wonky pages and pictures of the operator's fingers in any of these but you will find good readable copies of some very rare publications.

The point of this post, however, is to mention that at the moment, he's cut 40% off what were already fair prices. As these are print-on-demand books, we get the benefit that our orders get printed and posted in the UK, so carriage costs are low and delivery times are short.

I've no special connection with the business - I'm just a satisfied customer! The shop is at
http://shop.toolemera.com/.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be buying a few tonight. Anyone want to recommend particularly good books from this collection?

Thanks andy, do you have any personal recommendations?

Edit: just seen fromey's question so sorry for double post

John

speeder1987":35ozrk51 said:
Just tried to get some books and it says they don't ship to Hampshire :(

John

I wonder if you were using Paypal to supply the address? This happened to me, so I contacted Gary direct through his website - he immediately sorted out a workaround for me and is looking into what went wrong, so don't be put off buying for that reason.

As for recommendations, it depends what your interests are - but there are decent sized pdf samples of all the titles.

OK thanks andy, I've sent him an email.

The three books that immediately took my fancy were

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

I don't really have any specific area of interest just looking for some interesting woodwork reads. I've read most of the books from lost art press, just looking for some other stuff to read.

Regards
John

speeder1987":b7etgxiu said:
OK thanks andy, I've sent him an email.

The three books that immediately took my fancy were

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

I don't really have any specific area of interest just looking for some interesting woodwork reads. I've read most of the books from lost art press, just looking for some other stuff to read.

Regards
John

I think you have good taste! I already have an old copy of the first and have just bought the third one - it has lots of pictures of an elegant gent with a moustache!

AndyT":2saoei7l said:
speeder1987":2saoei7l said:
Just tried to get some books and it says they don't ship to Hampshire :(

John

I wonder if you were using Paypal to supply the address? This happened to me, so I contacted Gary direct through his website - he immediately sorted out a workaround for me and is looking into what went wrong, so don't be put off buying for that reason.

As for recommendations, it depends what your interests are - but there are decent sized pdf samples of all the titles.

I see the website now says

UK CUSTOMERS !!!
The Paypal service for UK orders has been resolved.
All UK orders can be put through the Shop Checkout system as usual.

Misterfish

AndyT":1vzo26xa said:
Anyone with an interest in the history of woodworking and woodworking tools will probably already know about the excellent resource which is Gary Roberts' Toolemera site - http://toolemera.com/. There you can browse through a wide range of old books, catalogues and ads, showing how tools and techniques used to be. I'm sure many of us have reason to be grateful for the information freely shared there.

What you might not know is that Gary also sells modern reprints of some of the rare old material in his collection. These are all scanned and prepared for printing with the proper attention to detail that comes from someone passionately interested in the contents. You won't find wonky pages and pictures of the operator's fingers in any of these but you will find good readable copies of some very rare publications.

The point of this post, however, is to mention that at the moment, he's cut 40% off what were already fair prices. As these are print-on-demand books, we get the benefit that our orders get printed and posted in the UK, so carriage costs are low and delivery times are short.

I've no special connection with the business - I'm just a satisfied customer! The shop is at
http://shop.toolemera.com/.

Yeah - Gary is a longstanding tools and technique obsessive - denizen of the OLDTOOLS list, and we've shared a few research questions.

Recommended.

BugBear

Back