Generic axminster clone lathe problems! How to avoid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Experiencing some trouble with my Draper WTL95, which is very simialr to the Axminster M950. The problem is the speed of the spindle doesnt correspond to the speed indicated on the speed selcted.

Upto aroung 1200rpm its fine (number 7) but after that the belt becomes loose and flappy and the speed dips/stalls! Especially at max 2000rpm, which apperas to be more like 500rpm! The speed selctor will also not go belt half way, and even between half and full is very difficult to turn! ive lubed everything up and nothing, but the belt is very loose on the higher speeds!

Is this a common problem with these type of speed selectors, as the position of the wheels seem to move rather than than the belt?

Pic to show what it looks like inside!
buylathe5.jpg

and the lathe itslef
63938_WTL95SIL.jpg

PHIL

Hi Phil

That looks pretty much the same as my Axminster AWVSL1000, apart from the position of the on/off switch.

I've had mine for about 18 months now and must admit to experiencing the same problem you're having i.e. difficulty in engaging higher gears/speed without the belt going all floppy and what felt like a clutch slipping in a car.... as soon as i put any sort of pressure on a chisel on a bit of wood it seemed to slow right down.

Bug*er.... i began to think, just when it's outside of warranty too....!!

Anyway.... the same as you've done, took the back off, Dyson'd out all the rubbish that had accumulated and then watched and played as i moved the 'gear-stick' to see just how it worked. And then very carefully i put a few drops of WD40 on the bearings (avoiding the belt area like the proverbial.....) without the motor running i hasten to add!!, and then fired up & slowly moved the gear-stick up and down, a little more squirt, a little more movement etc etc. Until it then ran as smooth as snakeskin from the lowest to the highest speed in one fell swoop.

About half an hours work and it runs better now than it ever has....!

Good luck

Nick

oh, nearly forgot to say.... looking at your pics, it was the spring on the lower of the two pulleys that i seem to remember paying most attention to.

Hi Phil,

This sounds almost exactly like the problem I had with my Jet1442 and the solution was very simple - a new belt. The slipping is happening at higher speeds because the belt has nowhere to locate properly and, at lower speeds, the belt is locating in a different position so giving a different speed than you expect.

Hope this works. I got a replacement belt from a local belt and bearing supplier for a few Pounds and it was better than the original. Just get the numbers off the belt.

Brendan

Check that the grub screw/s holding the BACK HALF of the MOTOR Pulley are not loose, allowing the pulley to move towards the motor body.

If you take the belt off and let the spring loaded front motor pulley extend to its max the inner pulley should close right up to it in bottom shaft area.

Ensure bottom motor pulley shaft is lubricated with grease, (grease nipple in end of shaft.)
Lubricate top shaft and actuating levers with Dry PTFE Lubricant.

Carry out clean out of dust and lub about once a month if it is in heavy use.

Dry PTFE lube is a good idea :D

I lubed mine up when I replaced the bearings recently and I was aware of the issue that the grease would attract dust and gum it up, but I never thought of dry lube :?

kasandrich":5q0mgkks said:
Dry PTFE lube is a good idea :D

I lubed mine up when I replaced the bearings recently and I was aware of the issue that the grease would attract dust and gum it up, but I never thought of dry lube :?

Cheers for that!

How hard was it too replace the bearings? As I think the main bearing behind the spindle thread may be out, as it was grinding slightly before the speed problem?

Cheers PHIL

Whatever you do don't use PTFE where you have had WD40 mind. I did it once and was ill for 3 days afterwards. There is a chemical reaction between them that is really bad.

Pete

Not bad at all. Very straight forward, just a lot of brute force (without too much ignorance so you don't damage the shaft).

Where abouts are you? if you are anywhere near me I would gladly help you change them.

There are 3 bearings in all, two are 6205Z the other is a 6006Z, from memory.

Back