Fools Gold (its a bowl with a name!!!) For Critique.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this idea laying around for a while and decided to make it today. Its called fools gold because the decoration of the outside of the bowl is inspired by the 'fools gold' that was on many of the lumps of coal that we had when I was a kid(from a very young age it was my job to 'get the coal in' :lol: ) it used to fascinate me as a young child and gold and black look cool together.

Anyway the bowl is a piece of bland looking beech,the outer is carved and painted with acrylics as is the rim decoration. I left the inner part of the bowl natural. its roughly 12" wide.

foolsgold003.jpg

foolsgold004.jpg

foolsgold001.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed.

JT

That's anything but Bland now Johnny, The balance of natural wood and colouring, which achieves a contrast balance in it's own right seems right to me. As a display piece it is good IMO, pity if it gets 'used' as the spectacular contrast of the inner form will be masked most of the time.

This is again really good. Only thing (my taste() would be that I would like a bead or some sort of distinction at the top of the outside as I find the carving distracting where it intrudes on the top. Apart from that I think it is great. Like Chas I wonder if it would be wasted as a fruit bowl as the contrast between decorated and plain wood is a major part of it.

pete

Thanks Chas and Pete, I hope whoever ends up buying it doesn't use it for anything more than decoration as this is the intention.

Pete, I don't think there is a need to stop the carving before the top of the side as it doesn't interfere with the inside of the bowl and is kept seperate from it by the decorative band on the rim. Still I will have another look at it in the morning with fresh eyes.

Cheers JT

I've looked at the rim again following Petes comment (why does he see thing I missed) with a view of educating myself to look a little more carefully as it's an area that I have had reservations about in past pieces.

Personally I think the plain unstained edge without any distinctive signs of stain bleed across the forms adjacent edge enough of a break in this instance.

I really like the outside treatment and think the transition between outside and rim is fine to my eye. But the rim itself isn't for me. I don't think the two treatments match very well. I think a continuation of the outer style would have fitted better. I agree with Chas that the beech itself is beautiful. But there's a thousand beautiful trees. Mustn't let that stop our creativity ;)

wizer":6m1y6m9g said:
...... But the rim itself isn't for me. I don't think the two treatments match very well. I think a continuation of the outer style would have fitted better. ...

Just goes to show the difference in personal perceptions, I thought the rim treatment formed the ideal contrasting division between the outer treatment and the natural interior.

Had another look and still think I'd prefer an unbroken rim from the top view. (We are all beginning to sound like art critics here. Johnny, what have you started :lol: ) Old Soke where are you, need some intellectually witty comment here

pete

That's a lovely piece, JT.

I particularly like your treatment of the rim - which seems to highlight the grain patterns inside the bowl rather nicely. The carving and colouring of the outside of the bowl are good as well. And I like the shape.

tekno.mage

Thanks for the comments everyone :D

Pete, looking again with fresh eyes this morning I still can't see where a bead would add anything positive to it. I think it would spoil the look of the outside and also as the carving through onto the outside of the rim all happens within the thin natural Beech boarder I don't feel it spoils the look, the black rim decoration gives the eye something clean edged to see.

Still good debate :)

JT

Hi Johnny,
I really like this piece.
As has already been said, the balance between natural wood and colouring seems about right. I am a great fan of natural wood, and that is a nice looking piece you are exhibiting there, but it is not overpowered by the decoration.
I hope it doesn't have stuff put in it!!

Malc :D

Very nice !!! Love the stars, are they handpainted ? !!

I love the texture on the underside of the bowl, I feel that this works really well.

Like the form of this piece too, really pleasing to the eye and i'd really like to touch it as the texturing looks very tactile.

Nice1.

Latest posts

Back