Drops of gold

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure about my name for this one....
Its one of those ideas that just popped into mind. The dish is catching the last few drops of liquid gold as they leak from the tipped vessel.

The hollow vessel is Ash,its carved and coloured with acrylics and finally finished with satin laquer.

The dish is beech and the plinth is Elm burr shaped and sanded with the proxxon long neck grinder.
liquidgold001.jpg

liquidgold002.jpg

liquidgold003.jpg

liquidgold004.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed.

JT

Another great looking form Johnny. :D
Love the Elm Burr.
Only crit i would make is that i would like to have seen the texture effect with the gold inlay possibly going further up the neck of the form.The neck looks too long and black.

The concept and execution is brilliant IMHO. Personally I think the gold leaking out would look a bit better if it was in small rivulets but that is my view. Overall I love it.

pete

Hi JT,
Another interesting and thought-provoking piece, produced to the highest standard as always. I like it a lot.
I can see what Paul J is getting at, but sitting here looking at it, I can't see if I agree or not. I think either way it would work......... I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!!

Malc :D

Johnny, the breadth and interpretation of ideas is as stunning as the finished item, you seem to be able to produce complex assemblies quicker than I can find my way into the shed.

I see what Pete is referring to with the last dregs dribble but I've never had the expertise at alchemy that you have to experience the sensation.

Hi JT,

I love the concept of this, sticks very closely to the basic nature of turning but has enough artistic swerve to make a very pleasing object.

I especially like the way the vessel just nestles nicely on the base, the lid looks great just sitting on the base to.

My only crit is that the gold, especially the drops in the lid, appears to be quite dull in colour. Do you think this is more a photographic issue and does it look brighter in real life? I bet this would look stunning if done in gold leaf!

An excellent piece all round, well done.

Lee.

Hey Johnny,

Looks great !. Looks like the aftermath of a great Roman feast. The amphora just tossed aside when used, its contents dribbling out.

( ok i know its has no handles )

Hi Johnny

You have obviously got the practice of "putting ideas into work" which is great to see.

Well done and keep them coming it is interesting to see what you will come up with next.

I keep coming back to look at this and I have finally figured out how to describe it, fantastic.

A very beautiful piece and excellently done.

john

[
How do you keep coming up with these riviting pieces.
I thought your other pieces were stunning but with this one you have surpassed everything.
You have a great mind to visualise these projects, But you also have the Skill to produce .Thank you Johnny long may you continue to achieve your thinking. REgards Boysie

Thankyou everyone for the replies :D I really appreciate them. I'm just enjoying letting my brain run with ideas :oops:

It really does help roughly sketching down ideas when you have them before they are gone.

Lee the gold is bright,its just the light in the pic making it look duller.

JT

Back