3 legged carved oak bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I got my Proxxon long neck grinder with mini arbortech blades today(late xmas pressie from Mrs JT :D ) and had a little play 8)
Made this Oak bowl on 3 black dyed Ash legs,its 9" wide with a carved and textured rim coloured with chestnut dyes.

oaktripod001.jpg

oaktripod002.jpg

oaktripod003.jpg

Comments and critique appreciated

JT

Very Nice !

I'd never dare add legs to mine fearing the wobble !!

I'm windering if a bead around the inner bowl rim though would enhance ?, this would put the texturing in a border and make the inner bowl have cleaner lines ?

Lovely stuff Johnny.

Loz

Hi Johnny,
Well I can see you have been making up for lost time with the Proxon.
personally I like the top but I feel the legs would have looked better tapered and the underside a little bit slimmer but i do like the effect on the top.
I look forward to seeing more from the application of the cutter on your pieces.
Hope you are starting to feel better now.
Regards,
Ian

Like the idea of the dark contrast with the Oak JT, I tend to go with TiN regarding legs looking a little heavy.
I know using stains makes it difficult to prevent wicking but I would have liked to see the red groves more colour defined and perhaps a little black banding on the cut edges to (inner & outer bowl) to mask the groove ends which to my eyes look a little ragged due to stain bleed I think.

loz":3bw2nhhn said:
With my acuracy it would be tilted then Chas !

That's OK it's a feature :lol: , easy to overcome just make legs a good push fit and tap them in a bit at a time to level it.

Apologies for the hijack JT.

I like it the affect on the bowl rim with the carving and colour it is very striking, maybe would have made the bowl part in the centre a little larger so it does not look too overpowered by the rim, otherwise great and thew legs work well too

Dave

Thanks chaps :D

I went for straight legs as the piece is very heavy(being a big chunk of oak) and I wanted to reflect this in the legs and I also felt that the straight legs set in straight gives it a more contemporary feel.

Chas, you're right a small black line on the inner and outer edge of the bowl would have tidied the edges perfectly #-o

JT

Hi,

Very nice, I would prefer pointy legs to make look like its floating.

Pete

Back